New York

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by furman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. furman

furman Member

Alright gang,

I'm headed to New York next weekend. Anybody know if there are any shops up there that carry card models?
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I assume you mean New York City? :D

I don't know of any, I get all my card models from the internet.

I believe Roman of Digital Navy is in New York, just not sure where and I doubt if he has a store (otherwise I would be there every week! :D ), but maybe he knows of some local shop carrying card models.

3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I've never found a modelling shop in NY and I'm here every day.

Although the original Pearl Paint store is on canal st (great supply store with everything!!!!) and at the south street seaport is the ambrose (the orginal!! as modeled at digital navy) and just to the south on the pier is a great little shop that specializes in model ship building of the carved wood type. The south street museum also has some great models of ships to look at.

Another great exibit believe it or not of scratch building from 5000 years ago is in the egypt pyramid exibit at the MET:

apparently the kings liked their ship models and some incredible models are there. Also note the Admission to the MET is a SUGGESTED donation not a fee. you can give whatever you can afford. $12 per person is a bit steep in my book, I usually give $20 per group. when I go myself I overpay, but when I take 6 people its a bargain.
  4. furman

furman Member

thanks guys - I figured if there was a store anywhere it would be NYC... I'll be checkin out the Intrepid while I'm there though (ships AND planes)
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the intrepid is a hoot too. walk right up to a sr71. unfortunately they won't let the general public into the lower decks, fire hazard or something like that (geez you think they would of thought of that when they made the aircrafft carrier that one day it would be a museum 8))

I'd love to see the engine rooms.

I believe you can make special arrangements (cub scouts and such) to stay overnight in some of the berths. Buko bucks though.