New York/New Jersey Chapter

Discussion in 'North America' started by DN, Dec 30, 2004.

1. DN

DN Member

I just found an old post by furman asking about sources for card models in NYC. I missed the post then, but since there are NONE (sources in NYC) it didn't make a difference.
    But this got me thinking how many card modelers from NY/NJ area we have here. :?
    From member list I counted 12 – if fimdan who is from the City that never sleeps means NYC :roll: . And a lot of forum members don't list their location.
    So maybe we could get together some time to share our craziness?
    Once a year/month, after work/on weekend in a café/library/club, having beer/kefir/water?
    What do you think?
  2. robson

robson Member

Excellent idea. I'm very close to NY, you can count me in.
  3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Oh great I move back to Ireland and now you start this one up...Thanks...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:
    John John
  4. DN

DN Member

So there are only two of us again, John John :cry:
    Better than one :p
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

If you don't make it too far upstate NJ I might be able to make it once in a while. I live close to RT 95
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I live on Long Island, South Shore, but work in NYC, so if we meet somewhere in Manhattan I might be able to make it. Sounds like a great idea! :D

7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

We should be able to do something locally here

Greater Philadelphia area/Delaware Valley

I know we have some more people who live in our area

8. DN

DN Member

So there are four of us already, great :p
    Let's see how many of us we can gather ina week or so, and than will try to set something up.
    Jim - I work on 46th and 5th - where are you?
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That would be excellant. Let me know off list or whatever.
  10. Jim Krauzlis

I'm here, Roman. :wink:

I work downtown, Wall Street area, on Broadway...120 Broadway, as a matter of fact.

I also belong to a shipmodeling club, the Shipcraft Guild of New York, that meets once a month at the South Street Seaport.

Jim :D
  11. DN

DN Member

South Street Sea Port is a perfect spot for ship lovers, I have to admit.
    Although we, midtown guys, have Intrepid.
    The only problem with this area (Wall Str is close 8) )is that you need to take mortgage to buy a beer.
    But hey, from time to time - no problem.
    Jim - can you tell us something more about the Guild?
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Sure, Roman! :D

It's a group of shipmodelers that has it's roots some 40 or more years ago when a group of ship modelers in the tri-state area decided to formalize their meetings and create an organization to share modeling ideas, research, techniques, etc. The predominant medium of modeling is wooden ships, but we have a fair share of plastic modelers and the like...I think I am the only member that has gone into paper modeling. They have some outstanding modelers, some of which are very well know in the ship modeling community.

We meet every third Tuesday of the month at around 7:00 p.m. The site of the meeting is usually somewhere in the Seaport Museum complex, one of the leaders of the group is the resident ship modeler for the museum and also the author of our little monthly publication "The Binnacle". Each meeting generally centers around old new and new news in the modeling community, show and tell and a technical session which usually covers some aspect of ship modeling like how to strop blocks, sail making, planking, etc. There are about 50 members or so, but the usual meeting is usually attended by about 15 to 20 members and some guests. My favorite parts of the meeting are obviously show and tell and the tech session. I haven't been able to make a lot of the meetings because of work and family commitments, but I do try to visit every so often, and keep in touch with some members by email and/or phone. Lately there have been a few "field trips" scheduled to visit such places as the Micro Mark factory in New Jersey to get a tour and some discounted purchases, and plans are in the works to get a private tour of some model collections at Mystic Seaport and the New York Yacht Club, but I don't know whether or not those trips have already taken place or not.

There is also an annual Tri-State conference hosted by one of three modeling clubs in the New England/New York area, usually at the Groton Navy base area. Our club is going to be the host this year and I hope to participate one way or another.

Guests are always welcome! If anyone is interested in popping in, let me know and I will try to get the particulars on the next meeting...there is usually a change in the usual schedule around the holidays, but I think the next meeting should be on the normally scheduled date.

It's always fun to chat with fellow modelers to see what others are up to, learn some news and see what others have made or are working on.

Let me know if anyone is interested in attending one of the meetings or would like to hear more about the club....

13. DN

DN Member

Thanks Jim, this sounds really exciting.
    I'll talk to you next year :p
  14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

46th and 5th???

meet at NINO's!!!!!! 8)))

I'm here in NYC.
  15. kk135

kk135 Member

I'm also here. Hello from Staten Island :wink:
  16. DN

DN Member

Jim - so if I would show up to one of those meetings, nobody would chase me away :p Sounds great. Word “museum†right away makes me think about reference materials, plans 8)
    jlesli48 - where is Nino?
    So there are five of us, wow, it's a gang already.
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Nino's resturant, 46th between 5th and 6th, they make a great reuben, and hamburger. But the real treat for lunch is the pasta special. pick the pasta, the sauce, and a topping. On the north side of the street, black awning. My personal favorite, Bowtie pasta fria diablo, with calimari.

Place looks like the scene in the original Godfather where Pachino shot the turk and the police chief. Pure NY.

I'm downtown now, by Wall st, sneak away for a long lunch every now and then.
  18. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

actually south street seaport is just down the street from me. they have a shipbuilders shop on the dock, and I've never done a real tour of the ship museum...

the food court of the mall is rather spacious,

Nino's I believe does mostly lunch service, pretty empty at night, probably no problem with us parking ourselves for dinner there, take a walk down and talk to the owner. he's a nice guy. He'd probably welcome the extra business.
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Where you at, Jon? :D

I'm at 120 Broadway, which is a few blocks from the South Street Seaport (okay, so it's about 6 six blocks, give or take).

Maybe we could all get together when the weather improves at the Seaport? :idea:

20. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

100 williams st. corner of john and williams. across the street from
    zetuna's, kitty corner to the federal reserve bank. next few days seem to be a little wet, but I'm up for getting together after that.