New York Central Streamliners. HELP!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hey Crew!

Calling all Central enthusiasts out there. I'm upgrading some of my corrugated streamliners. They all have silver letter boards with black lettering, but I want to switch to coloured boards with white lettering, as they were in the final days.

Here we go now....Were these boards painted a dark gray, or were they some kind of shade of deep blue? I've seen pictures of BOTH, and I'm not sure if the negatives are going, or if my memory is going.

Which is it, and which specific paint on the market would you recommend?

George.

W

wt&c

according to my book "the great steel fleet 1940-1967" it doesn't mention anything about number boards ever being boards. though it did mention about a medium gray was used.

------------------
NARA Member #8
www.a&a.77th.com/
The Appalachian & Atlantic Railroad
"QUALITY at WORK with SAFTEY in MIND"

[This message has been edited by wt&c (edited 03-30-2001).]

W

wt&c

NOOO Problem
biggrin.gif

------------------
NARA Member #8
www.a&a.77th.com/
The Appalachian & Atlantic Railroad
"QUALITY at WORK with SAFTEY in MIND"

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hello Pat!

Thanks for the thoughts! I was told that a dark gray was used, but the decals I need are "aluminum" which appear white.

I still have not recieved any feedback about blue, or any shade there of being used on the boards.

George.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
sorry George, I just can't remember.. NYCs main line, NY-Chicago,west of Cleveland, ran right outside my bedroom window back in the early 60s, I watched a lot of trains and I remember the streamliners...but I just can't 'see' the details. I'll put my 'remembering cap' on and look at some books at the "Station" next trip. Maybe I can come up with some info for you.
Best 't ya
VGN

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 04-04-2001).]

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Virginian, Thanks ever so much!

I've gotten a lot of paralleling answers from here as well as other sites which point to what probably was.

However, if you could, keep an eye out for anything appearing as if any shade of blue was used instead of gray. Thanks again!
smile.gif

George.