New York Central Hudson

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by clevitekid, Feb 9, 2005.

1. clevitekid

clevitekid New Member

Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that the NYC Hudson is the best looking steam locomotive ever. I want to get a nice O-Gauge model for display, so I need your opinions: If I buy a new loco should it be from Lionel, MTH, K-Line, another brand?

Thanx for your advice.

PS: Back in the 1960's my summer job was at NYC's Collinwood Yard in Cleveland. Still a lot of steam-related stuff around then, and the coaling tower is still there today.

The Clevite Kid
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Can't advise you on which Hudson is best, but thought I'd second your opinion of NYC Hudsons!
  3. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

I'm a Flyer collector and one of my favorite Flyer engines is the 322 New York Central Hundson , hense my user name acflyer322 I have at least 23 Hudsons in my collection and I have to say it is one of the greatest looking locomotives although I do like the K-5's and I have a large amount of them. These of course are S gauge but the Flyer Hudson is one of the most real looking Hudsons out there and it was built in 1946 by AC Gilbert company.
  4. DaorLiar

DaorLiar New Member

I am third-ing the opinion of NYC Hudsons. Gorgeous.
  5. I go along with acflyer322, like him i am s gauge and I have the K325 NYC Hudson and just had it reworked so it runs like new. unfotunatly it is the only steamer I have . I have 2 deisel locos. I am just getting back into model railroads and Missed out on some of the early stuff. When A C gilbert went bankrupt I should have gone and gotmy hands full. I had the local hobby shops back then that had them . Now all I do is order or wait for local train shows. Thanks Alan d Lambert
  6. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Hey Alan

I have 3 K325's and all of them are fantastic engines , they run great but I will tell you this, the speaker in the tender unless you use the chime disconnect it and see how your 325 runs. Those chimes seem to want to grunt even if you don't use the dc generators to activate it. They don't really sound good even when they work perfect. I am a huge American Flyer collector and have restored , repaired , made hybreds such as I combined two Atlantics and made what looks like a northern its a 4-8-2 , its a wild looking engine. I was a kid when Gilbert went bust and I sure wish I could of been there when they auctioned all that stuff off for scrap. I've heard stories from people who actually was there and bought some of it and it makes me sick when I think of it. I heard they sold 55 gallon drums filled with all of the same part for 10 cents on the dollar as scrap. Some of the bidders bought it for the aluminum and other metals. One guy from a local hobbie shop here told me he bought up at least 2 tons of parts and he still has a lot of it. He also told me that he saw 4 55 gallon drums with northern cabs in them was bought by a local scrap yard. It will make you sick when you see the prices on Ebay for a northern anywhere from $300 on up. 5 years ago you could of had one for under $200. Flyer prices right now are off the wall. A good way to find Flyers cheap is at local auctions who liquidate estates. Another way is yard sales you won't find a lot of them but you will find them. Good luck with your k325
  7. ESE999

ESE999 Member

Empire State Express number 999. Hence my nickcame. I'm really disappointed though that they didn't keep the seven foot drivers. It's not so beautiful anymore. Other than that I would have to say B & O's Royal Blue.
  8. berraf

berraf Member

Could be great if someone posted a picture of your favorite.
    I'm looking forward to see this NYC Hudson steamer on a pic soon :wave:
  9. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I have to agree: any of the J-1's, the J-2's as built, and the J-3's, including the Dreyfuss ones for the 20th Century. :thumb: :thumb: However, I'm not too nuts about some of those "upside down bathtub" streamlining attempts for the Mercury and others. :oops: