New water tower

spitfire

Here's the latest addition to the Massey Fergusson complex - an industrial water tower. It's built from a very nice kit by Tichy Train Group, courtesy of my friend Brakie!!!

One thing, although the kit is excellent, the instructions leave a lot to be desired, and if you ever build this kit, do NOT follow the instructions for stringing the wire.

Anyway, I'm happy with the results so far. Here it is with its first coat of paint. Still needs scenery below and weathering.

Val

Attachments

• watert.jpg
    watert.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 168

Lighthorseman

Nice!

What a cool water tank! :thumb: I am also looking forward to see what you do with it. The signage and weathering possibilities abound! :)

jon-monon

Looks great, Val. Tichy makes good stuff and is priced better than their competition in a lot of cases.

That's a fine model Val! Instructions? What's that?

Ralph, that's that sheet of paper they put in the box for you to spread out on the table and build the model on, keeping the glue off the table. Whatever you do, don't read it! It will turn a confirmed psycho-kit-basher into an armchair MRRer in a heartbeat! :D :D :D

spitfire

Thanks a lot guys! I'm going to start weathering it tomorrow (I heard on the weather channel that 20 years worth of rain, snow, sleet and burning sun is about to hit a mere 10 ft northwest of me).

Paul, can you notice the slight fish-eye effect on that shot? Is there any way to avoid it?

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by spitfire
Paul, can you notice the slight fish-eye effect on that shot? Is there any way to avoid it?

Val

Hi Val,

I have a bit of an answer to that if you like. Although many cameras have a macro feature which allows you to get closer, you then have to zoom out to capture the scene from close up, and you end up with a "fish-eye" effect as you noted.

What may work instead is to actually pull back and zoom in on the scene you want. That way you also get the compression of distances, which although it tends to flatten the scene, can give a nice effect of buildings and other structures "stacked" right on top of each other - a really busy, tightly packed scene.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

spitfire

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I've now weathered the structure, knocking off 2 guy wires in the process which had to be re-attached.

This is a fairly light weathering as the structure is still in use. There's a real one of these left that I know of which I would use as reference except for the fact that it is not in use and is in terrible shape.

Attachments

• tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 75

Will_annand

I like it Val, just enough to show it has been there awhile, yet not enough to look like it is abandoned.

Nice work.:thumb:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Val

The weathering turned out great!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.