New Virus?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by paperbeam, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I just received an email with a tag line somewhat like this:

Hi Mate! You've received a message from a Mate.

Please open the attachment (which was called patch.exe):rolleyes:

It was obvious to me that this was probably a virus/trojan/whatever which my Norton Antivirus was able to eliminate.train97

Not blaming the region as a whole, but it came from Japan...

N and Z scale Old West paper models at paperbeam - virtual paper models
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

The awful thing is, whatever the 'payload', some e-mail users will a) not have adequate anti-virus software to prevent the attachment being downloaded, and b) once getting the e-mail, will open the attachment....

There are far more sophisticated risks out there. You simply have to have up-to-date anti nasty software on your PC, and NEVER open ANYTHING you are not expecting to receive. Delete it immediately. NEVER!!!!!

3. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Update your Norton anti-virus program IMMEDIATELY. Run Norton's "Live Update" at least every day (if you have it set up that way, Live Update will nag you every time a new virus definition is available). After updating, run a full system scan.

And make sure you have the anti-virus program set up to scan incoming eMails.

I also use the free "Zone Alarm" firewall instead of Windows --- all the reviews say it is MUCH better than Windows firewall. It also scans incoming (and outgoing) eMail. My local ISP also scans my eMail.

And above all --- don't EVER open an attachment from a stranger or a friend if you weren't expecting it.

And grab the free SpyBot and AdAware programs and update and run them at least once a week.

I've been using the net for about 10 years now (never needed it before then) and have only been "bit" twice. I used all my resources and cleaned the bugs out before any real harm was done.

(I actually got a connection so I could do things like on line banking and eMail to and from my kids. Now I'm an addict!!!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.