new tunnel portal

N

nachoman

completion of this tunnel portal means I can finally make some major advancements to the scenery on this corner of my layout. So far, I have just added bits of ground foam and some sand, but tall grass and cactus should be coming shorty ;) I am still devising ways of making ocotillo and century plants.

the portal itself is made 100% from illustration board. I painted it using model master "wood" then a washes of gray, grayish brown, and black, and some matte finish spray. I think it looks sufficient.

kevin

Attachments

• layouttunnel.jpg
    layouttunnel.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 27

darius28z

Nov 27, 2005
im a newbie intersted in how you wash is this with acylics and if so how is it done i asume you sprayed it first with spray paint right then,how did you do the rest??

N

nachoman

well, it is built with illustration board - available at art supply stores - basically thicker poster board. The portal and sides are large pieces scribed into individual boards, with thin strips of illustration board glued to the front as framing". I brush painted the whole thing, being sure to stroke the brush in the long direction of the boards to simulate grain. The washes were just acrylic paints thinned heavily with water and a little alcohol, probably thinned about 10-1. I applied the gray and brown washes with a brush, again applying lengthwise along the "boards". The black wash was streaked vertically, to simulate soot and grime that has washed downward.

kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Kevin,
Nice job: you've really captured the colours right, it really does look like wood. Did you scribe the illustration board or cut it into illustration board "boards"? Either way, very effective, and in my opinion, much better than merely "sufficient".

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
semi on topic

Hi Kevin,

Speaking of illustration board, Dick Blick has a wide selection of everything and anything you could imagine that is art related, including a wide selection of IB. Varying thicknesses too. Nice prices.

They do have brick and mortar retail, but not as extensive as HobLob or Micheal's. Check the map. They also have a nice hardcopy catalog.

<Back to the thread at hand>

Come to think of it, you just helped me with a quick solution to my station problem. Tree from the forest kinda thing. Thanks.

N

nachoman

thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I would have preferred to build this out of wood, but wood is more expensive, and I am on a limited budget, and illustration board is what I had around. I simply scribed the illustration board to simulate boards rather than cutting individual strips. I am also building some ore cars using the illustration board. They are about done, just needing a few more details.

kevin