new to this

rguyett

I got into this to bond with my son and now I'm hooked
We have been at it for two months
I think being inexperenced and are doing a 3 ft by 8 ft N scale We have done it by trail and error and we think we have done pretty good
let me know what you think

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Welcome to The Gauge! Always nice to hear form someone else from Canada!

Sounds like you are having fun with your son. My daughter really enjoys the trains too, but she is a bit too small to help just yet - only 2...

Do you have any pictures or plans to share. Unlike some other forums, you can actually post (small) images here at The Gauge. Look for a link at the top of the page "Adding Images".

Andrew

roryglasgow

It was sorta the opposite for me... My son got me back into model railroading. It's been common ground for us since he was 18 months old (he's almost 6 now).

Fascination in one thing or another comes and goes with him, but TRAINS are a constant! It sure has been fun!

Gee, I hope it lasts!

BTW, he's getting a Thomas the Tank Engine HO-scale set for his birthday this weekend. He doesn't know about it, yet. I'm so excited! For him, I mean... ;)

Clerk

Hi rguyett. Welcome to the Gauge.
How about some pictures.. If you have trouble posting just let us know. somebody on here will be glad to help you.

rguyett

well will try another one i will get the hang of this yet

Attachments

• trainoct-0313.jpg
    trainoct-0313.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 185

Arlaghan

You did that in two months!!! WOW!
I guess it goes to show how much value a second pair of hands can be! :D

By the way, how old is your son?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Welcome to the Gauge rguyett
It's amazing to see how much you and your son have packed into this space. It looks good and am sure you have lots of fun with it.

rguyett

i'm 52 and my son is 28
i am living with his family as i have cancer and have only a few months
we were not close till this happened and we wanted something to do and he likes trains so we strated now we are very close
its well worth the money and yes we have a lot of fun with it
I will post new picks this weekend as we now have the mountains done
we also have all buildings light with street lights and we still have to add crossing lights and the final touchs but i hope my son will continue to enjoy it with his son who is 11 months inb the years to come
thanks for the comments we think it looks good but we also made a lot of mistakes also

Clerk

rguyett...Sorry it had to take your illness to bring you and your son together, but that happens a lot... You two have done a great job on the layout. It looks beautiful and the pictures are great.

A big welcome from me. Welcome to the guage! If you have any questions, you can contact me or Mike...SD90. We both live in Calgary!

ddavidv

Just what I wanted to see! :)
I am in the planning stages of returning to the hobby, defecting from HO since space is more limited nowadays. I was hoping to find a layout somewhere on the net in a similar size with the ability to run two trains at once. Well, there ya go. :p
Nicely done and an inspiration for me as well. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome aboard!!!!

Originally posted by ddavidv
Just what I wanted to see! :)
I am in the planning stages of returning to the hobby, defecting from HO since space is more limited nowadays. I was hoping to find a layout somewhere on the net in a similar size with the ability to run two trains at once. Well, there ya go. :p
Nicely done and an inspiration for me as well. Thanks for sharing.
My buddy Mike, and I are building a first N layout for Sherman Hill Model RR Club, in Cheyenne, WY. We are building to the same 'givens and druthers' as you are. We have a 4x8 sheet, cut in half lengthwise, to yield 2-2x8' modules. We are building a modified version of the Milwaukee 54x96" layout in N Scale Railroading magazine a while back.
We are building a 4x8 that will break apart in the center, giving us expandability. We have a double-track main, a small town, passing track with depot, and a snaking s-curved mountain mainline with sawmill and ballast quarry. In between, we can stuff in between the end modules any series of modules that the club wants, for infinite expandability. If you want to see a plan, contact me offline.:D

rguyett,
Your layout looks GOOD!!! Wow! in only 2 months?
:confused:

I wish I could work that fast!
Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!!!

Drew1125

Originally posted by hemiadda2d
rguyett,
Your layout looks GOOD!!! Wow! in only 2 months?
:confused:

I wish I could work that fast!
Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!!!
I'll second that R.G.!
Welcome to The Gauge! :)
The layout looks FANTASTIC!
Let's see some more!:cool: