New to the scene

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by semaphore, Jul 23, 2005.

1. semaphore

semaphore New Member

Hi guys. I'm new to the hobby and just found out abuot this site by
    visiting the Boston and Maine website. I recieved a trainset (I think it
    was by marx) when I was younger but never got involved in the hobby. I
    always like trains but couldn't tell you much other than that they run on
    rails. .

I'm still debating on what scale to get into. I was thinking about laying
    out an oval with a few switches on a sheet of plywood just to get the feel
    of things and to keep the kids happy. Can any of you point me in the right
    direction to any good track planning books or plans? I don't need anything
    too complicated. I'd like to have some hills and bridges and a few
    industries(there's so many to choose from).
    Any help would be appreciateed.
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Welcome Aboard The-Gauge semaphore. Everyone here is full of information and will be willing to share it.
  3. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

For your first layout, try one of the Atlas Plans in one of thier publications.It will give you a step by step and even tells you how to wire it.
    For someone brand new to the hobby buiding your first layout like this is important to get the feel for the hobby.
    I'm sure you can find one of these at your local hobby shop or on ebay very reasonable. If you cant, let me know.I have 2 copies of the Atlas 6 book.#6 is a real hum dinger.the other 5 are much simpler :)
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Welcome to the Gauge. If it's information you want, or just to talk to a group of friendly people, you've come to the right place.:wave::wave:

For some basic, and very instructional information, go to the NMRA website by clicking here. Some good stuff there, and the price is is good...:thumb::thumb:
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge Semaphore. If you have the space, I would suggest HO scale is it is readily available and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As Tileguy says you should have a look at the Atlas track plans. There are some on-line here.
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Nice screen name; good choice. :thumb:
    Ovals generally get dull pretty quickly...they end up being race tracks, so the best plans will 'hide' the fact that you do, indeed, have a circle somewhere.
    Avoid buying a 'train set' pre-packaged as this is usually the lowest end junk a manufacturer sells (there are exceptions, of course). It's much better to buy components...seems more costly up front, but you'll end up replacing a lot of it out of frustration anyway. I've had great success buying track, power packs, and rolling stock on Ebay. Locos I always recommend buying new, as you don't want to have problems with these.
    HO is by far the most popular size, and if you think the kids will be involved, is fairly easy to handle.
    N is my choice, and is suitable for space-challenged layouts, but you have to like working with small stuff. The selection has improved greatly in N, but it's still nowhere near what HO is. However, I can build a pretty massive layout in the space it takes to do a simple oval in HO, so it's worth thinking about.
    I'd also suggest looking to see if there are any train clubs in your area. Even if you're not the 'club' type it may be a good source of information, and you may even find some folks willing to sell you some starter supplies at a reasonable price.
    I can't comment on O gauge, as I've never done anything with it. It's simply too large for the space I have to work with, and pretty expensive IMO.
    It really is the world's greatest hobby, as there's something in it for everyone. :)
  7. ausien

ausien Active Member

Welcome to the roster of the Gauge, Semaphore, you have found the friendlyest place on the web, full off wonderful, informative modelers.. I myself am a N scaler... have a good one..steve
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi, semaphore.
    Kipling once wrote There are eight and ninety ways / to recite the tribal lays / and every single one of them is RIGHT.
    When you start model railroading you find that everyone has their own methods, and as long as they work for them they're right.
    Thortrains (a member here) has a website of layout plans.
    And we won't complain if you go back to the Marx trains or their moden equivalents.