New to the hobby

L

lester perry

Peugeotlew said:
We are watching a pair of Alco PA-PB"s on ebay in the D&H gray and blue yellow lightning stripe. That will work nice with our passenger cars . The D&H stuff is a bit harder to find than most lines but... they were what I grew up around. Russ do you have any photos of the paint scheme you speak of?
Be carefull what brand you get. Since you are new at this it is easy to waste money. Find the brand / manufacturer and get back to us. Some are a waste of time some are good and some great. Oh by the way welcome to the GAUGE :wave: , we will be honest with you on this stuff.
Les

Peugeotlew

My 2 engines are Athearn one is detailed GE U-boat and the Alco's. Linda has a cheap Bachmann FT-A with DCC and a Proto2000 GP-9 phase 2 from the B&O historical society. Our biggest purchases are the Digitrax chief and rolling stock. What I would like to find now is a Baldwin sharknose in D&H dress :)

L

lester perry

OK the athearn and proto are good stuff. Inexpensive but reliable. The Proto may start making a thumping noise, that is a cracked gear. If it happens just get on here and ask for help it is a well known problem. The ones on ebay are?
Les

L

lester perry

Athearn is good stuff. The older blue box is inexpensive the new stuff is more money.
Les

L

lester perry

Some of the older Proto Diesels had a problem with the drive gears in the truck cracking. Exactly which one I am not sure. I have replaced the gears with Athearn gears and it works great. You will hear a thumping noise from the loco and i have even seen trucks jump when it makes the noise.It is not hard to do.
Les