New to the hobby

Peugeotlew

Hello all! just found this board and love it. My wife and I have decided to build our first layout . We are using HO scale and the B&O and D&H are the railroads. My wifes dad worked for the B&O for years and I grew up in D&H country in upstate NY. I hope we can get the info we need and help others as well...
Lew and Linda
Odenton MD

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Welcome to the Gauge Lew and Linda

Yep, just ask all the questions that pop in your mind about the hobby and you will get answers:thumb: :thumb:

Hope you enjoy your stay, jump on board and sit back for the ride!!:D :D :D :D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Glad you could join us! You guys are already ahead of the game knowing what theme and scale you want. Enjoy browsing through the threads and feel free to ask questions of the groups here.
Ralph

Herc Driver

You'll find there is no better place to ask questions and get really useful information (and inspiration) than this forum. Always respectful and always informative.

As a "newbie" myself...I've come to depend on the great modeling insights and experience of the great people on this forum.

Oh almost forgot to add...Welcome!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Welcome Lew and Linda !! Looks like you've got the best of all worlds, You know the road, you know the scale, it's both of you interested, and you found the gauge. B&O, and D&H, both good roads! :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
Pete

Pooh Bah
Welcome to the gauge.
Enjoy the forum. Don't rush into any modelling, but don't spend 10 years planning.
Don't confine yourself to your own interests -- there are always interesting nuggets in other railways and other scales.
And remember: there's never been just one way to model railroad.

Peugeotlew

The welcome here is amazing, thank you all for your hospitality. We feel right at home here. Once we get started we will keep everyone posted on progress.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Peugeotlew said:
Hello all! just found this board and love it. My wife and I have decided to build our first layout . We are using HO scale and the B&O and D&H are the railroads. My wifes dad worked for the B&O for years and I grew up in D&H country in upstate NY. I hope we can get the info we need and help others as well...
Lew and Linda
Odenton MD
Welcome Aboard!! Hope you both find lots of info here.. :) Glad you decided to join us!!! :D :D :D

Peugeotlew

The process has begun! Linda and I have bought some equipment of our favorite fallen flags and started clearing the room. Have begun the e-bay thing to help finance this endevor. Boy oh boy did we have lots of things to move and sell. Being into french cars in a past life I have posted to one of my groups and sold most everything French. Now we wait for the packages to come to our doorstep !

Russ Bellinis

Welcome to the Gauge. As you have probably noticed, there are a bunch of great people here. I model Santa Fe so I don't know a lot about the Eastern roads, but I was wodering, are you going to run some of those Alco PA's in the blue & silver warbonnett scheme that D & H bought from the Santa Fe? That was always my favorite non Santa Fe livery.

fsm1000

Hello and welcome. Hope you have a ton of fun here.

If you wish, you can click on the links on our signatures. Many of us have websites with pictures and info to help out others with. Maybe something we say will help you out.

So have a cuppa, relax, read and have fun. :)

Peugeotlew

We are watching a pair of Alco PA-PB"s on ebay in the D&H gray and blue yellow lightning stripe. That will work nice with our passenger cars . The D&H stuff is a bit harder to find than most lines but... they were what I grew up around. Russ do you have any photos of the paint scheme you speak of?

Pooh Bah
That PA-PB sounds like the scheme. D&H only had the one scheme for them (that I know of) and only had the 4 PAs (no PBs). (Just so you know; I used to run a D&H PA-PB-PA consist.) They repainted the Santa Fe units using blue instead of red and keeping the warbonnet shape in the stainless.

Peugeotlew

I did look up the Sante Fe PA's and found some history including the sale to D&H . The warbonnet is the same :) It's a shame that only several survive. Most went to Mexico. One is in a museum in Mexico and two came home. one for a tourist train and one to the smithsonian. I did win the E-Bay auction so they will proudly head my passenger line.

hooknlad

Warmest of Welcomes to you both !!!!!!!!!!
The Gauge is full of fun personable people who care not only for the hobby, but care for each and every member. The topic of trains is suggested, but not necessary. We discuss anything that happens to be on anyones minds. This site is a lifesaver for me because all of its membership give a damn. The Gauge to me is a warm loving family .