New to the Gauge, saying hello

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I was over on the Railroad-Line forums for a while and stumbled across a post linking to over here and decided to check things out. I must admit I am impressed by this disscussion group here.

Many posts I have read here are duplicated on the other railroading forums and on the others the topics have degraded to name calling and product endorsements for the most part.

Not here, without fail those discussions have remained just that, intelligent discussions and serious debates which is what I like to see. Something tells me that the Guage may become my new home for Model Railroading on the internet due to this.

Well a little about my modeling I guess.

I am trying to model Chessie system for the most part with a little Santa Fe thrown in as well. I am modelling the las couple of decades of the last century, the 80's and 90's mostly but I may go back a bit into the 1970's as well since I was born in 1973.

I am trying to model a freelance sort of set up where Chessie system didn't get merged into CSX but instead stayed it's own railroad but perhaps became a regional or something. As I am still in the planning stages and just buying rolling stock and locomotives for the most part at the moment I haven't really decided. But the idea of having Chessie as my primary Railroad with Santa Fe perhaps having an occasional train come through to add a bit of variety sounds fun to me and I can model a couple of good paint schemes that way.

As for me personally, I first got into trains back in 1976 when my parents got me my first train set. We had two at the time, a UP frieght and a Tyco/Mantua Spirit of '76 in Seaboard Coast Lines markings that I loved. Unfortunately those old trains were destroyed in the many moves since then, I tried to ressurect them but couldn't they were just too smashed from being carted around loose in those boxes for all those years to be able to save them.

I have since traded in what I could scrounge up towards at first a couple of Life Like GP-38's that actually run pretty good for "Toy" Trains. I have since converted my chessie one to all metal wheels and no traction tires and my other needed a rebuild so it donated the metal wheels.

I also have in my fleet my very first Athearn blue box Loco. A Chessie GP 35 that I absolutely love. I am definitely a fan of the Athearn growl. That Loco will pull like there is no tommorrow. I am soon getting another Athearn, and F-7 this time in C&O paint.

I have a varied collection of rolling stock but I am slowly upgrading my cheapo toy train stuff over to better quality cars that can easily be converted to metal trucks and wheelsets and Kadee or McHenry couplers.

I have had very good luck with using Kadee's on my Locomotives and McHenrys on my rolling stock. I didnt have the money at the time to get all Kadee's and since My Athearn Blue Boxes cam with the McHenry's I used them, They work surprisingly well.

Well I have written a book here si I better shut up now, I look forward to the discussions here and hope to be able to help out and contribute to the community here in a constructive way.

C

Catt

Well Mr. Bookwriter :D :D all I can say is welcome to the Gauge.I hope you like spending time at the BEST of the WEB!!.Seriously we work at keeping the Gauge a friendly place where all the good people are welcome.

We have one rule here (aside from behaving yourself) and that is there are no dumb questions.If you need to know you'll get an answer.If its been covered here someone will direct you to the info you need.

Once again, Chessie welcome to the Gauge

OOPS! almost forgot.You are allowed to be silly here,in fact with some of us its the normal way.:D :D :D :D :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to what we affectionately refer to as "The Big Blue Board". As a Beano and Western Maryland fan, I too enjoy Chessie the sleepin' kitten and that garrish blue, yellow and vermillion.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Welcome aboard, Chessie!

It's always nice to have new members who appreciate a civilized discussion among model railroaders from all over the globe. (Look at my homebase! :D)

Ron

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Since I posted this I went down to a little hole in the wall train shop Called Clinchcross here in Fletcher at Smiley's flea Market.

Yeah I know domn't ask. This shop deals mostly in closeout stuff from other suppliers so often has older stuff but at a pretty good discount compared even to online so I frequent his place every weekend to see what he has gotten in during the week.

I took my Fairly new Life Like GP 38 that I bought from him in to trade for a few things, He credited me 12 dollars for it, which is half what I paid him originally and I picked up two athearn undecorated 4 bay hopper kits which are currently doing laps on my temporary loop of EZ Track getting broken in a bit before I decal them.

I have been trading this shop my cheaper made items for credit towards Athearn rolling stock and Locomotives for about three weeks now and I am impressed thus far, he is more than willing to work with me and his prices are a good 2 to three dollars lower on the blue box kits than the only other shop in the area.

I am currently a One Locomotive operation now though due to trading the life like to him but I think my Athearn GP 35 is up to the job for a while :D

I will post any questions I come up with, and believe me I am full of them among other things ;)

Again thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to some serious discussions in the future

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Another welcome to the Gauge! :wave: :thumb:

What scale do you model?

EDIT: I can only assume by the high concentration of posts in the HO forum that you model Z scale! :p :p :rolleyes: :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Chessie,
Welcome to the Gauge! The C&O had one of the greatest locos ever, the H8 Allegheny. Then of course there were all the rest. I do eastern steam, and that usually means articulated. Well, with the exception of the Long Island.
Glad you feel comfortable here, it's a great place to be.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Welcome aboard.
Although I model British steam (mostly) and my wife monitors it (!), I can get away with buying something with a kitten on it.
I saw something unexpected the other day -- a bunch of CSX hoppers in a train and about half had NYC reporting marks.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Originally posted by Arlaghan
Another welcome to the Gauge! :wave: :thumb:

What scale do you model?

EDIT: I can only assume by the high concentration of posts in the HO forum that you model Z scale! :p :p :rolleyes: :D

Yeah as you have noticed I do HO scale. I am modelling mostly diesel era but Chessie system had one steam engine I REALLY want to model. The Chessie Steam Express. It was an excursion train they used from time to time for promotional stuff and it was beautiful. I have found a few pictures of this old girl in action and I really wish I could have seen her run.

My Mother tinkers a bit as well but she is not as into the serious scale modeling, she just likes to watch the trains run for the most part. SHe used to do model cars when she was in high school and had quite a collection. Unfortunately the arthritis makes it difficult for her to handle the tiny parts on the locos and cars.

Then again I am not much better off.

But we both enjoy going to the hobby shop and looking through the blue boxes for cars we dont have or think look neat and would like to see running on our little loop of EZ Track we currrently have set up while we plan the layout. It isn't much but it is still fun.

I love to see my model running and they have run every day since I got back into the hobby for at least a few hours aroun the loop.

Originally posted by Chessie1973
Not here, without fail those discussions have remained just that, intelligent discussions and serious debates which is what I like to see.

On this forum we discuss everything from train tunes to train cats to train ghosts. Oh yeah, and all aspects of trains too. And post hi-res photos of some of the most beautiful modelling work ever.

But mainly we do this with a great deal of respect and appreciation for our fellow modellers. Welcome to The-Gauge!