New to PLanes... can I have some basic info?

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by traxxasmaxx24, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traxxasmaxx24

traxxasmaxx24 New Member

I am trying to get a plane by trading my Tmaxx because the hobby shop here is mainly for planes and I live in front of fields... What is some basic info I should know?
  2. Billy N

Billy N New Member

Try to stick with a 40 size trainer. There are many ARF (almost ready to fly) trainers out there today. Pick up a decent 4 channel FM radio. I highly recommend having a seasoned pilot help you at first! He will check to see if everything is air-worthy and he will also trim it out for you once it gets up there. And most importantly, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! Everyone has a crash now and then. If you're really into it, your airplane inventory will grow! Hope this helps.

Bill
  3. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

I agree with Bill! If you are serious about getting into this hobby however I would suggest getting a kit instead of an ARF. Reason being is that when you build your own plane you know how it went together, what glues are used, and how adjustments are made and this will give you a good idea about how to repair it if you get a "hobby bump". Flyers that start out with an ARF miss out because a lot of 2nd airplane type kits don't give provide as many instructions because it is assumed that you learned some steps while "building" your trainer. Another good reason is that this hobby mostly has 2 seasons, Winter is for building and the rest of the year is for flying! A good trainer kit like a Sig LT40 or a Sig LT25 has excellent step by step instructions and labelled parts that fit together prior to gluing making the kit very easy to build. Suggestions for a radio, either Futaba or Airtronics brand. All radios work well but some of the servos that come with other radios are not the best. Suggestions for an engine, either OS FX series or Thunder Tiger. Both are easy to adjust and run reliably. Have fun, Fast!:D
  4. Billy N

Billy N New Member

The reason why I suggest an ARF, is due to the fact that more than likely (without an instructor), the plane may bite the dust. I agree that building a kit is a great learnng experience, but if an ARF is put together correctly, checked out by an experienced flyer, it can last long enough for a novice to learn the basics of flying so chances of crashing a built-up kit are practically eliminated. After building dozens of kits, i pick up the fun-fly profiles and have a blast with them!

Bill
  5. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

traxxasmaxx24, I would never suggest a new flyer try it alone. There are too many things that can go wrong and any plane will be short lived or someone can get hurt. The local hobby shop that sells planes will know where the nearest RC club is and will have contact phone numbers. Talk to the RC club and go for a visit to get a better idea of what you are getting into before you spend big dollars and waste time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.