new to paper

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by dbrooks6, Aug 7, 2013.

1. dbrooks6

dbrooks6 New Member

Hello to all,

While I'm not new to modeling (plastic, resin, photo-etch, balsa, and foam (flying) ), I am a novice with paper modeling. I have recently built a few simple glider paper models for my grandson (He loves them and they are easy to replace when lost or destroyed), I habe been looking at the more detailed and intricate models available out there. The complexity of many is incredible!! I also like the fact that if I mess up, All I have to do is reprint that part. Question, what is the best overall paper weight to use? I'm currently using 110lb wt paper, I've heard that 80lb is better!! Thanks for hearing me out and any info sent my way will be appreciated!

2. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

The paper weight question has no right answer and no wrong answer, you use what feels right, my cheep 110# card stock might do for some models but others need the expensive 67# "cover stock" . Still others might need heavier "Photo Paper". Nothing rolls into small tubes as easy as 22# copy paper.

In short, use what feels right.
  3. dbrooks6

dbrooks6 New Member

Thahks for the tip Micah. Use what you think is best, I like that!! I take it that copy paper would probably be the best # if you were building the turretted cannon of a Battleship!

Again, Thanks!

4. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

I use 110 lb. stock for almost everything. Thinner for small tubes. :)
  5. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

Here we use the European system, so please convert it (sorry!). My personal prefference is 140/160gsm paper. You can use it for pretty much everything.
    Micah and Zathros already said it all, there're no rules, no right nor wrong answer to the question. One thing I've noticed, though: for bigger models and parts, use heavier paper; for more detailed ones and small pieces, lighter paper would be the choice.
    I hope it helps!
  6. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    It sounds like you already got some really good advice for the paper. Then again the same rule (What you think is best and what works for you), is generally the best way to go.
    As you go along in your learning about this hobby as a whole and following some of the threads (and members works) that interest you, you will find that there are certain techniques that work better then others as well as what really does not work that well.
    By all means, do not be afraid to ask questions. We will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once you have decided what project you would like to start, I would like to suggest starting a build thread as well.
    Build threads are a GREAT way to show off your skills and techniques as well as highlighting problem areas that you are having with a particular model that you need help with.

Once again, welcome aboard and I hope that you enjoy yourself here.