New to Paper Modeling! Question about glues.

Hogweed

Hi all! Just signed up. I saw some of Zealots models whilst searching the web for some models to get started. I was amazed at how detailed his work is and hope to work up to the level of being about to make some of them!

I have been modeling most of my life in wood, plastic and metal, and wanted to start in paper, as a "break" between the others (mostly wooden ships, plastic models and metal miniatures). I figured I can rotate between them for more variety, or a break between projects!

One issue I am a bit confused about is the choice of glues. I have seen several recommendations, and just wondered if it is a question of preference, rather than a question of performance. I had bought a few of the glue sticks (Scotch Craft stick & permanent glue as well as an Avery one), but it seems that most people are using a liquid tacky glue. I would have thought even used sparingly that that kind of glue could cause warping in the model.

Do the glue stick glues hold as well as the liquids? I would guess many people here have used both, and wondered what you might think of as the best choice.

Thanks for any input!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Hogweed! Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for introducing yourself. To answer your question: I have never ever achieved a good result with glue sticks. The glue can't be applied cleanly (you would need to brush or scrape it on) and it does not hold things together well. I always use liquid glue, mainly Elmer's glue and UHU universal glue. There is a special glue which should be even better than these two called "Zip Dry". :)

Last edited:

Lighter

Glue is a matter of preference. Aleen's Tacky Glue doesn't soak in very much on small parts. Not a good choice for larger areas or lamination. Spray glue or Saran Wrap + an iron for laminations and various solvent based glues and adhesives for large areas. Lots of possibilities in the scrap booking supplies at your local craft shop. Or, for that matter on Amazon. A couple of adhesives I use for most of my paper modeling are Weldbond For Trim - very thick wood glue; and Martha Stewart All Purpose Gel Adhesive. These along with gel CA, Epoxy, 3M Photo Mount and Micro Crystal Clear are my basic arsenal.

NO, you don't have to start off with a cabinet full of glues and adhesives for this hobby! They accumulate as you run into issues with your modeling and household activities.

Hogweed

Hi Revell-Fan & Lighter!

Thanks for the replies, I will run out and get some glue then. I have wood glue, but I think i will try some of the specialty glues like the tacky glues, Zip Dry or the gel adhesive.

I want to try the stick glues, so I will test them out on some easy starter models, just to see how it works. I read a starting guide on a site, and that was all the person used for his models, so I am guessing it must work to some extent, but I see the vast majority using liquid glues, so that will be my main choice of adhesive.

I agree, start small and with the basics, as I have with other modeling formats that I use.

Thanks for your help! I am sure I will have a few more questions as I start to give this a try!

McTschegsn

Well as I am a beginner too (derived from plastic and R/C models) I can support my two foreposters to use white glue as the glue of choice. To be honest I tried almost everything from Glue sticks over non odorant UHU glue and so on and I stuck to white glue and kittifix cardboard glueb (kittifix Kartonkleber in german) which I thin to a condensed milk like fluid. The tacking time is around 5 to 10 seconds and I did not believe how well white glue sticks parts together. With the right brand it even dries to a crystal cllear almost invisible joint.
The problem with the glue sticks I had was the fact that the models fell partly apart some 5 - 6 weeks later...

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I tried glue sticks when I first started paper models, and was simply unimpressed, moved on to Aleens Tacky Glue and they work great, then I add in Zip Dri and CA for some high strength bonds.

Welcome to the group and Happy Modeling

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Started many years ago using superglue. Caused issues with my eyes, then several different PVA (white glues) until using Alenes Tacky. Now use Alenes Turbo Tacky.

Recently found a bottle of zip dry. Seems to work very well, like the idea of being able to glue different materials with it. Only draw-back is the smell.

Zathros comment on storing the Zip Dry upside down works very well to keep it flowing.

Mike

Hogweed

Thank you for all your replies! I will drop the stick glues, i see how difficult they can be for all but the most simplest of models. I will get some white glue to start, and see if i can find the tacky glues as well.
Thanks again!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Go to Micheal's Craft Stores, and get UHU Brand Glue. You can stick glass to leather to paper to metal with that stuff. It's non toxic, lignin free (won't yellow) and doesn't stink much. Get a bottle of "ZIP DRY" glue. That is some serious, excellent glue, for just about anything. Almost a gel with invisible fibers, great stuff, especially for hard to hold pieces. Works on almost anything.

8458960.jpg
113247-3-1.jpg

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Well as I am a beginner too (derived from plastic and R/C models) I can support my two foreposters to use white glue as the glue of choice. To be honest I tried almost everything from Glue sticks over non odorant UHU glue and so on and I stuck to white glue and kittifix cardboard glueb (kittifix Kartonkleber in german) which I thin to a condensed milk like fluid. The tacking time is around 5 to 10 seconds and I did not believe how well white glue sticks parts together. With the right brand it even dries to a crystal cllear almost invisible joint.
The problem with the glue sticks I had was the fact that the models fell partly apart some 5 - 6 weeks later...
Wondering how this Kittifix Kartonkleber compares t o the old Wiccol Karton Glue? Was my favorite until it was gone from the market. Still going thru withdrawls 8-years later...

Notice that Amazon.de has a bottle for sale and can ship to the US. Me thinks the credit card time is near.

Mike

McTschegsn

Most german forums compare Wiccol to kittifix almost even... I by myself do not have much experience as I am alomst new to paper modeling but I like kittifix best.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Buy American damn it!! Only not kidding. Nice to see you here "mbauer"

Zubie

Went to Michaels to find UHU. Nothing and don't carry it. No Zip Dry either. Currently use Alene's tacky which seems pretty good (tackier than elmer's, labeled non-yellowing & acid free). I noticed they sell a version they call "Quick Dry" tacky glue. Is this akin to the zip dry or should I keep hunting?

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Don't know which Micheal's Craft Store you went too, but the ones here have whole 1/2 aisles loaded with many varieties of UHU glues? :(

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Went to Michaels to find UHU. Nothing and don't carry it. No Zip Dry either. Currently use Alene's tacky which seems pretty good (tackier than elmer's, labeled non-yellowing & acid free). I noticed they sell a version they call "Quick Dry" tacky glue. Is this akin to the zip dry or should I keep hunting?
Found mine at JoAnns Fabric in the scrapbooking section here in Alaska.

Expensive though.

If you find some be sure to use Zathro's method of storing it upside down, that way it will flow when you need to use it.

Way different than Alenes tacky. Alenes are mostly PVA type glues, the Zip Dry is like rubber cement, how it smells and how you can rub it off without ruining ink from inkjets. Make sure to have ventilation, smelly and probably not goof for you. Does make a nice permanent bond though.

Mike

Charlewood

I travel a lot and can always find a variety of White Glue, which is pretty much the same all over the world, in every convenience store. Often, just bring a small tube of Allene's tacky Glue, good all purpose glue.