New to O---Wow!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Brian Howenstine, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Brian Howenstine

Brian Howenstine New Member

I have just started this hobby and I am fascinated by the possibilities that exist. I purchases a MTH Ready-to-Run Set and used the track that arrived with the set.(RealTrax) I ordered a little more track and a couple of switches to make the layout a little more interesting. Works ok, just need to add more to the size of the layout and I would like to switch to a different type of track. My questions are as follows:

1. What type of track should I use? I plan on at least a 8 x 16 bench.
    2. Is there an outlet to sell the track that I have purchased? It seems to be expensive and will not be practical for the size of layout that I would like to build.
    3. Where should I start in planning my layout? There are so many options, I really do not know where to begin. I would like to run a freight train type layout with the ability to run 2 trains at one time.
    4. I am open to any and all suggestions that the 'experts,' in this hobby would have to offer this 'newbie.'

Thanks to all for your time and suggestions.
  2. PRSLou

PRSLou Member

HI!

You have made a wise decision in choosing O scale. There is some much O scale stuff on the market, we are just flooded!

First of all, before I answer any questions, I need to know if the layout you are building is going to be permanent or will it be taken down and then put up repeatedly?

Let me know...until then, bye!

------------------
    Lou
    PRSLou's website
  3. Brian Howenstine

Brian Howenstine New Member

I would say at this point that it will be a permanent layout in the corner of my shop.
  4. PRSLou

PRSLou Member

Alright, Here goes:

1. What type of track should I use? I plan on at least a 8 x 16 bench.
    I would use Gargraves trackage. It is flexible and they have a large variety. For switches do NOT use Gargraves. Use Ross Custom Switches or Curtis Switches.

2. Is there an outlet to sell the track that I have purchased? It seems to be expensive and will not be practical for the size of layout that I would like to build.
    You can buy MTH RealTrax at almost any hobby shop.

3. Where should I start in planning my layout? There are so many options, I really do not know where to begin. I would like to run a freight train type layout with the ability to run 2 trains at one time.
    I would suggest buying a Computer system to aid you in designing your layout, such as RR-Track.

4. I am open to any and all suggestions that the 'experts,' in this hobby would have to offer this 'newbie.
    Anybody else have suggestions???

------------------
    Lou
    PRSLou's website
  5. BobMcD

BobMcD Member

Good points, Lou.

Brian, there is a "buy and sell" section on this forum, and there's always E-bay or something if you want to dispose of the track that came with your set.

Hobby shops carry some books of layouts, which might get you started on a plan. With Lou's recommendation of flexible track and those nice switches, you can implement a track plan designed for any scale, not just O. Just remember that an HO or N layout takes a bit more space in O. I'd suggest starting with a relatively simple layout, and expanding later to fill the space. That way you can start running trains sooner--always a good motivator!

You'll also find books on getting started in model railroading (although some of them have a strong HO scale influence), benchwork, scenery, and other related topics. There are some magazines such as "O Scale Railroading" and "Model Railroading", which have a lot of good information.

Try to have some "access hatches" in that big layout, where you can pop up from under the table to re-rail trains or do maintenance work. Otherwise, a derailed train in the center of your layout would mean a long and destructive crawl over the layout itself!

Good to see you here, and good luck with the project.

Bob
  6. PRSLou

PRSLou Member