new to micro tains

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Gaudens, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Gaudens

Gaudens New Member

Hey gang,

I have recently started back up in my n scale hobby. Ive noticed that just about all the loco's and cars available have micro train couplers on them. All of my cars and locos have the old style couplers and im not sure of how or if I can convert to this new style of coupler. I like the idea of being ablt to uncouple and couple cars but how well does it really work?
  2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I'm in your boat too. I like the newer couplers, but still have many with the older rapido-style coupler. It is not too difficult switching the couplers or wheel sets out on both engines and rolling stock, but for some of them, I've found that it's not quite as easy as MicroTrains leads you to believe. You might want to switch the coupler on one end of one car...that way it can still hook up with the newer knuckle coupler cars and the older style rapido couplers. The newer knuckle couplers in general work more realistically than the rapido couplers. But the older style rapido couplers almost never uncoupler since they interlock so well.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Roll through the threads and see how others have done it. I suggest making a couple of transition cars -- at worst you can run them together. Consider using a head-end car (Baggage or mail) for your passenger trains, then you can mate a whole train of one coupler with a loco of the other.
    For cars, there are 3 ways to convert:
    replace the whole truck with a MT truck.
    replace the coupler in a truck. MT makes some replacements.
    Chop the coupler mount off the truck and put a whole coupler on the floor. My favourite, although some cars have open floors that don't have a good mounting plate.