New to G

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by oldtanker, Feb 15, 2007.

1. paceway

paceway New Member

Washouts are part of the challange of building in the outside. Where I am, In Florida, we can get three to four inches of rain in an afternoon shower.

My first problem, after laying my first few feet of track was keeping it from washing away.

I have since leanred to build with water (rain) in mind. Planning a new section the first thing I do is put in Lots of drainage.

To me building just like the real railroads is the best part. That includes the wildlife too, both wild and domestic. A mole can do a lot of damage to your railroad...

Building in the garden has turned out to be one of my great joys.

Good luck in your efforts..

Bob Pace
    CEO/Chief Ditch Digger
    B & L Railroad & Minning Company
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I never thought about the moles.... I could see where they would be a problem.
    And then there's our lab, Dora the Amazing Destructo Dog. :rolleyes:
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

"Ozzy I want the larger ones, they are a bit more impressive."

i agree there, but ya better have 40 acre's to turn the G scale around i know i dont got the yard for (wish i did!)
  4. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Ozzy, i have 200 acres....we own a farm!

5. Cannonball

Dang.... Skip the G scale and go for a narrow gauge you can actually drive! :cool:
    ;) :D
  6. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Cannonball, I looked into it......too much money!

7. Cannonball

Yeah.... I've looked at 'em too.
    $30-$200K just for an engine. :(
    But damn that would be fun. ;)
  8. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Sure would.....i could see it now with 200 acres...LOL

9. paceway

paceway New Member

The track is simple. All you have to do is lay it on gravel roadbed just like the big guys. The gravel, in a ditch maybe 4" deep acts like a drainage ditch. The problem I had is there was a slight slope next to the track. When the rains came, witch they always do, the sand washed down over the track.

I dug a trench between the track and the hill and filled it with river rock and more gravel and it has been dry ever since.

Grandchildren are another thing. I build my track with code 250 Aluminium rail on cedar ties. It's very strong and looks great but when a two year lod walks on it... oh boy they can do some damage... That's also why I have gone with Bachman... I got a new 460 on ebay for about $90.00... If they get damaged you don't feel quite so bad... :) They run and look great.

Remember the ten foot rule is in ellect with g scale...:D
  10. Danny

Danny Member

Rick, by all means start with a Bachmann starter set, best value around, and NO there are no issues with the Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0's which come with these sets, but as stated above only use the supplied steel rail around your Christmas tree, it will rust away outside, Aristocraft Brass is OK for outside (or USA Trains or LGB).
    If you intend getting Diesels (Geep mentioned in your post), you may want to change some brands of couplings (most other brands do not like coupling together), I have standardised on the Bachmann Knuckle Coupling, which will retrofit all other brands of rolling stock (I have 16 locomotives and 80 items of rolling stock, of many brands).
    Welcome to the world of Large Scale trains, I can guarantee you will love it!
    Regards, Danny Sheehan in Oz.
  11. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Thanks guy for all the advice...I was going to oder new this we but found a few on evilbay that I'm watching....I mean if I can get 2 maybe 3 set for the pice of one???? That would be a heck of a G scale start.

Still may wind up oredering new.