New to forum

Woodie

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Have just registered, so forgive me if I boo boo getting used to it.
Bit of info. Live in Sydney, Australia, and constructing a HO layout based on Victorian (state of Australia, not period in time!) and New South Wales raliways of 60's and 70's. Already ripped the whole thing up once! Tried to many shortcuts, and bent too many rules. I'm using the NMRA standards and if I can say anything..... DONT BEND THEM CAUSE YOU WILL REGRET IT IN THE LONG RUN!!!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Woodie,
Welcome to the gauge friend.
Victorian and New South Wales raliways of 60's and 70's sounds an interesting project, what size of room is it in, and can you show us a track plan.

shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-24-2001).]

Woodie

thanks for the welcome guys. Is there anyone else from Australia that contributes to this forum?

kf4jqd

Hello Woodie:

Thanks for your repley!
smile.gif
I understand about ripping apart your railroad. I am debating right know if I should do the same.
frown.gif

I am modeling the Rock Island Line (bankrupt in 1980). This railroad had a big part to play in the American Civil War. Even a bigger part of this counties expansion westard. This was the second transcontental railroad. It was only finished 2 weeks after the first!

I hope I can help you out. As you have read some of my articles. I am into electronics.

Happy Modelling,
Andy

Woodie

Thanks Andy.
I'm doing all the electronics too. Built a PWM controller from a kit ($10), and also a diesel sound board (fits inside the engine) that is supposed to work on the back EMF generated by the motor when using PWM controllers. Got a good sound out of it, but it does nothing different regardless of PWM or not, or engine running or not. hmmmm... dunno what I've done wrong.

Drew1125

Welcome Woodie!
Very nice pics. Looks like a great project.
Latest issue of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette has a cover feature of some Aussies (Geoff Nott & 5 other guys) with a SPECTACULAR sectional logging RR in On3.
(Shamus, you should get a look-see.)

Woodie

Well, it's looking a little better now. My homepage that is. Any comments welcome. I'll keep updating it, so return frequently to see what I'm up to.

Woodie

Charlie,
Thanks for the feedback.Is "Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette" a US based magazine? Do you where I can get a copy (or website) for it. It would be interesting to see the article. I don't know Geoff Nott, or where he is from. An Aussie?

George

Hello Woodie!

Just looked at your site and like your track plan. Are you able to commercially obtain Australian rolling stock or do you have to scratchbuild most everything?

George.

Woodie

George, Thanks for the comments. I only whipped the homepage up this arfternoon, and scribbled a layout using Microsoft paint. You can get commercially available Australian rolling stock. Engines in AUst wer usally imported from the US or UK, so it's just the livery they have to change. The more contemporary rolling stock is bulk manufactured, but the period rolling stock is available in kit form. The rolling stock I have used on the protype pages is only available is kits. The quality of the kits is excellent, and not that expensive. bout $45 AUS ($22 US) per carraige for the passenger cars, and around $11 AUS for the freight cars. However the red Tait kits are around $130 AUS per item, plus drivetrain. Not that many of them were made. It's the buildings and structures that are lacking in kitform. They variety is not that good. However, I'll make do, I'm sure!

Virginian

G'day Woodie
Welcome to the gauge.You ever get anywhere near Wollingong? I know some folks that live on the beach there.
My "name" says where I'm from originally,but I live in Caifornia, about 50 miles north of San Francisco.
Hope to hear more about the Railroads on that Big Island of yours!Any potos of real trains you could share?
s'long
Virginian

Woodie

Thanks Virginian. Wollongong is about 60 miles south of where I am. About an hour's drive. Apparently they have a reall good model railway supplier down there somewhere. I haven't been down that way for while.
You're justnorth of San Fran! Been there, done that, got mugged, bought the T-Shirt!
Pics of "real trains????" The pics on my website are of "real trains"!! They still run a lot of the clapped out old things!
smile.gif
smile.gif
I used to ride those red electric things to work, when I lived in Melbourne.

TOOT!

Virginian

Hi Woodie
Sorry to hear about your experience in 'The City'. If you ever get over here again, we'll take you on a tour, and avoid the mugging zones! Well, time to check your web site!!!Hope youi don't mind if I put some of your photos in my file.
(Oh just thought: do you surf? Our aquaintence in Wollingong is a wind surfer, everyday after work..he and/or his wife work in Sydney, I believe.
bye now
VGN

Virginian

g'day woodie!
I looked at your photos this time! (I checked out your layout design last night)
Hey, mate, that could be the view out my kitchen window! a couple of those shots could be anywhere in north western California,practically! We even have quite a lot of 'naturalized' eucalyptus, (thanks in part to Jack London).
Thanks for sharing the photos.
VGN
cool.gif

Woodie

Well, I'm starting to get the hang of it all. Have spent the evening redoing my webpage. Pics of the layout and rolling stock is up there now. (mind you, I hope my photography improves, along with the layout!) I'ts there for all to see. www.rainbow.net.au/~niceboys

TOOT!

Drew1125

Way to go Woodie! Looks like you're making a great start!
Have you thought about laying your yard & spur tracks directly on the plywood instead of the cork? It looks really good when side tracks are on a lower grade than the main line.
Good Luck!

BTW - Geoff Nott is an Austrailian (not sure exactly where) modeler whose HO Leigh Creek Lumber Co. RR has been featured in Model Railroader Magazine. It was the cover feature in the 2000 issue of Great Model Railroads, MR's annual publication. He uses some really unique scenery techniques, like white glue instead of plaster, & real rock for all the rock work. His work is very impressive.