New to Forum

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Would it be possible to get a pitcure of the plant? We have something similar here I think that is used as a landscape plant. It's usually trimmed into box or sphere shapes. It has little dark green leaves and right now it has yellow flowers on it as well.

Andrew

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but have been a model railroader for more than 25 years. I model in HO scale... steel mills, scratch built MOW equipment, steel mill equipment such as kress ladle carriers ect. I also model Southern and Norfolk Southern railroads.

I own 15 high dollar locomotives from many manufactors and well over 300 freight cars from Athearn,Roundhouse,Walthers,Atlas and so on and so forth. As of right now...seeing my wife and I are moving out of SC next year, I don't have a working layout. I am confined to my work bench and forced to scratch build everything that I can't buy for the steel mill complex.

Speaking of steel... I own all of the walthers steel mill kits "the works",slag cars ,ladle cars and a new Trix 16 axle 300 ton HO hot metal car based on the car sparrows point uses .

Did I mention that I'm really in to this HO steel mill thing????? Any other steelies out there ? Along with steel mills, I also kit-bash/custom build/glue monger many things including HO scale heavy equipment.

MOW is also real big with me and I'm always looking for strange or just plan weird pieces of MOW equipment to build.

Biggest news this week...after a few years trying to get my 13 year old son involved in my hobby. My boy came up to me night before last and built a Walthers slag pot car for me !!! HO-Yah

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Welcome to the Gauge, BSE. Very nice work on your dioramas: I particularily like the Investors' Special. Your utility wires also look great: did you use E-Z-Line?
Whatever plant that you're using for your trees grows around here too. I always thought that it was Goldenrod, but by the time I get out to gather it, it's Brownrod. Good idea about dipping it in the dilute matte medium, as it does tend to be a bit brittle if left untreated.

Wayne

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
doctorwayne said:
Welcome to the Gauge, BSE. Very nice work on your dioramas: I particularily like the Investors' Special. Your utility wires also look great: did you use E-Z-Line?
Whatever plant that you're using for your trees grows around here too. I always thought that it was Goldenrod, but by the time I get out to gather it, it's Brownrod. Good idea about dipping it in the dilute matte medium, as it does tend to be a bit brittle if left untreated.

Wayne

:wave: Sorry my friend, Goldenrod it is not.

MadCoW

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
MasonJar said:
Would it be possible to get a pitcure of the plant? We have something similar here I think that is used as a landscape plant. It's usually trimmed into box or sphere shapes. It has little dark green leaves and right now it has yellow flowers on it as well.

Andrew

Andrew I'd be happy to, drop me an e-mail and I'll return it with a couple:thumb:

enjineerbill@yahoo.com

MadCoW

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WELL, WELL, WELL..."MadCow1":wave:, LONG time no see(or hear from:confused:). i hope you are doing well these days:thumb:. i am GLAD you joined in here at The Gauge:thumb:. there are a GREAT bunch of people HERE!!!:thumb::D. its GREAT to see your still doing TOP NOTCH modeling:thumb:. i hope you like it here:D, and i hope to converse with you in these forums:thumb::D.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
MadCoW1 said:
:wave: Sorry my friend, Goldenrod it is not.

MadCoW

Of course, you're right: the plant I'm thinking of grows in the same area as Goldenrod, usually about 2' - 3' tall. In the late fall, it has remnants of flowers on the tips of the branches, small, off-white, and kind of silky/furry in appearance. I don't know what it's called, and it may not be the same plant that you use, but the branch structure is very similar. I'll have to try your matte medium treatment on some.

Wayne

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
UP SD40-2 said:
WELL, WELL, WELL..."MadCow1":wave:, LONG time no see(or hear from:confused:). i hope you are doing well these days:thumb:. i am GLAD you joined in here at The Gauge:thumb:. there are a GREAT bunch of people HERE!!!:thumb::D. its GREAT to see your still doing TOP NOTCH modeling:thumb:. i hope you like it here:D, and i hope to converse with you in these forums:thumb::D.

:wave: :wave: Hey Man, announce1 WHAT UP!!??!!:thumb: I'm doing much better, Thank you. How's the the FM stuff doin? This looked like a great place to land. Thanks for the comments. You build anything new? :thumb: Well look at that, we ARE conversing in these forums!!:D

Good to hear from you, wondered what happened on the "other side" of the tracks:wave:

MadCow(Johnny)

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
doctorwayne said:
Of course, you're right: the plant I'm thinking of grows in the same area as Goldenrod, usually about 2' - 3' tall. In the late fall, it has remnants of flowers on the tips of the branches, small, off-white, and kind of silky/furry in appearance. I don't know what it's called, and it may not be the same plant that you use, but the branch structure is very similar. I'll have to try your matte medium treatment on some.

Wayne

Hey Wayne what your talking about is sounding more like it. I was out at Grand Crossing last night, and to look at this stuff in the summer is to think it would never work because of the full green foilage it carries. But MAN, when it's dead it is PERFECT. I'll try and post some photos of it when I can, but being new here, I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics w/o having to resize to the point you need a microscope:eek:ops: .

MadCoW

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
When I started posting here, I had my photos in an account at http://photobucket.com/. It's free, and it allows you to resize your pictures, although you can post them here at full-page size by copying and pasting the "img" info below the pics. Another way to post full-screen pictures is to open a "Members Account" in the Gallery here at the Gauge. Instructions are provided there. Your photos will display in the Gallery as thumbnails: if you want to place one of them in a thread here on the Gauge, you simply click on the selected image, which will enlarge it. You then "copy & paste" the "img' info which appears below it.

Wayne

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Welcome MadCow.

Most impressive modeling and attention to detail. Not only excellent pictures but superb photography (there's a difference!).

I, too, am involved with a move which hopefully will take place September or October. I planned my layout, which is a walkaround, to saw apart in four long pieces for moving. Hatch in this basement, walk-out in the new. Let's see how successful my engineering was!:D

Again, wonderful work, and be most welcome. You can check mine out on the member's gallery under "Abutt's layout pictures.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Jim, there's lots of Yarrow around here: it seems like there must be perfect conditions for it this year, as I've seen lots of it 2' to 3' high already. I've used it to make trees, although that was many years ago, long before polyfibre and ground foam (I believe it was in the days when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, eating Yarrow and model railroaders.) I always had problems with the seeds dropping off as the finished trees continued to dry out, although that may have been due to my poor tree-making techniques. The trees reminded me of Lombardy Poplars, with their tall, columnar shape, although mine were a bit too dense.
I've used Spirea with some success: usually multiple sprigs wrapped together with brown florist's tape. My first ones were simply dipped in some clear urethane, then sprinkled with ground foam. These again looked too dense to me. An application of polyfibre before the ground foam yielded better results, although this precluded the use of the urethane to hold the foam. Hairspray worked well in its place.
There's a bush that grows around here (no one that I've asked seems to know what it's called) that makes decent generic-looking trees when cut 12" or 13" long, but is also ideal for making smaller trees or bushes, as the tips of the twigs have ever finer "branches".

These are Spirea trees, the original urethane dip/ground foam application kind: a little too solid-looking for my tastes. These will eventually be given a makeover with polyfibre and more ground foam.
100_5524.jpg

This is the same type of tree as in the previous scene, this time with some polyfibre applied after the initial construction, then a new application of ground foam. It reminds me of the lone Elms often left standing in pasture land, although still a bit too dense.
TrainBrain003.jpg

The trees to the left of the train are made with the "mystery" bush, a light application of polyfibre, and 2 or 3 different colours of ground foam. The tallest bush to the right of the train is from the same bush, made using the same methods. About the smallest I've made with this bush are 3/4" high: they look good covering the side of a railroad embankment, but pretty labour intensive.
100_5487.jpg

Same place, different view
100_5512.jpg

Same bush used, different scene. The tall tree to the right gives an idea of the branch structure
2005_t13.jpg

Again, to the left of the scene, more mystery bush
100_5869.jpg

The "Junipers" to the left of the scene are made from the flowers of a Butterfly Bush. Dipped in urethane, then sprinkled with ground foam. Not too bad for mid-to-distant areas, but a bit too dense for foreground scenes.
100_5906.jpg

I'll be out harvesting more of that mystery bush when the Fall rolls around, as I have about 25 or 30 square feet that needs to be covered with trees. This is layout area that's in use, although I don't post pictures of it due to the lack of finished scenery. I've also noticed some interesting looking shrubs on various properties around town, but I'm still waiting for the owners to go away on vacation.:D
Again Jim, my apologies for the abundance of photos.

Wayne