New to Forum

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
Hello Group,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. HO modeler, have been for 35 yrs. Married and am retired. Model the fictional MadCoW Route based on a sell-out by the CNW of it's Wisconsin lines around the Madison Area. Layout is based in the mid 60' to mid 70's.

For a look at some of my stuff, http://picturetrail.com/enjineerbill

Enjoy.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

With a name for your road like MadCow Route, I could tell you've been in the hobby that long. Remember names like Chucklehead and Ticklefoot, Cobwebs, Dust and Ashes or the great Gorre and Daphetid? Love the website slideshow...:thumb:

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
shaygetz said:
Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

With a name for your road like MadCow Route, I could tell you've been in the hobby that long. Remember names like Chucklehead and Ticklefoot, Cobwebs, Dust and Ashes or the great Gorre and Daphetid? Love the website slideshow...:thumb:

Shaygetz, I do remember those names well. Much of the inspiration for the MadCow comes from the tongue-in-cheek titles of the model kingdoms

And thank you for the welcome:thumb:

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
MilesWestern said:
Yes, I've been following your model railroad for quite awhile...wonderfully composed, realistic shots, and where DID you get the funny song about Union Pacific?

Miles:wave: Thanks for following, must be a good disguise as I never even saw yousign1 . Work will start to move forward on the layout as we move to our new home at the end of August. As for the UP song on the video, That is WAY old from the UP promo dept. I picked it up somewhere on the web.

Thanks for the welcome!!

L

lester perry

The best way to put it is WOW!!! Are you sure some of those pics aren't real trains you claim to be models?
Les

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
A W E S O M E!!! It's so easy to forget that you're looking at a model and not the real thing. Thanks for sharing.

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
lester perry said:
The best way to put it is WOW!!! Are you sure some of those pics aren't real trains you claim to be models?
Les

Hello Les:wave: ,

Thanks for the welcome and kudo's. Looks like a good group here. BTW I really dig the Clifton Forge area of your layout:thumb: .

MadCoW

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
Nazgul said:
A W E S O M E!!! It's so easy to forget that you're looking at a model and not the real thing. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, Thanks for the compliment:wave: . I can't wait to get started this fall. All of the dioramas you see will be incorporated into the new layout.

MadCoW

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow! Nice work. Those trees are especially great - how do you make them? I had to look closely at a few of your pictures to determine if they are models or not...! I think that stringing the utility poles adds a whole other dimension of realism.

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
MasonJar said:
Wow! Nice work. Those trees are especially great - how do you make them? I had to look closely at a few of your pictures to determine if they are models or not...! I think that stringing the utility poles adds a whole other dimension of realism.

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

Hello Andrew, Thanks for the kind words. I like the way the trees are turning out as well. They are picked in the winter months at (above all places) Grand Crossing (BNSF/CP) in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Not sure what type of bush they are, but I cut them from a plant that grows about two feet high. They are hung to dry for a month to get the moisture out, then dipped in 50/50 matte medium/water mix and again hung to dry a few days. This step helps to keep them from snapping if they get bumped on the layout. They are then painted a light grey with cheap spray paint and , while still wet, sprayed with adhesive and sprinkled with ground foam. Hope this helps somewhat:wave:

MadCoW