new to forum. question about shays

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dunkard_trapper, Nov 19, 2006.

1. dunkard_trapper

dunkard_trapper New Member

Hello All
    I build Military armor kits and would like to try my hand at a railroad and I've got a few questions.
    First of I'll be modeling the logging operations around Spruce WV ca. 1910 I need to decide on a scale and would like to pick one that has a lot of the following kits

I'd Like to have a three or four truck shay I found info on bachmans kit is this a good one? any better ones?

Also info on makers of flat cars or skeleton cars

Does any one make a kit or have plans of an american log loader, lidgerwood skidder, marion 100 ton steam shovel
  2. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I don't have the Lima book in front of me, but I believe the Bachman HO shay is closer to a 1920 model...but their G scale 2 truck shay would probably be about right time period wise.

Judging by your interest in shays and marion shovels, you wouldn't happen to be from Kenton, Findley, or such? I'm from Wapakoneta but live in Cincinnati.

Btw, the Bachmann shay's aren't kits.

The On30 shay from Bachmann is a good one to check out as well...but it is a really small shay.

You might be able to find an old MDC Roundouse 2 or 3 truck, standard or narrow gauge shay kit on ebay...but be certain to look into some of the tips for improving their performance...they had a poor electrical conductivity setup...I improved mine by isolating the frame electrically and eliminating the wipers for transferring the juice from the trucks to the frame.

A really cool logging railroad could be built using either Bachmann's On30 stuff...or by going with HO...Bachmann 3 truck shays, MDC 2 truck shays, finding used Mantua 2-6-6-2ts, Rivarossi heislers, and plenty of logging cars. MDC's old time tank cars made great logging cars if you didn't add the tank...I don't know if they are available from Athearn yet. Rivarossi made logging cars, but they also just got bought out by Hornby. Kadee makes beautiful logging stuff.
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I have two of the Bachmann HO scale shays and they are both good running machines. They do require periodic lubrication, just like the prototypes. I don't know of anyone who makes a model of the four truck Shay. There were only a few built. Ho scale has the most available logging equipment off the shelf. There may be some S scale folks who can tell you about their equipment availability but I think it would be mostly brass models. G scale is able to provide several Shays, a Heisler or two and even Climax two truckers from various manufacturers. Mostly what is called F scale. They represent three foot narrow gauge equipment, operating on G gauge track. O scale is another one of those areas that has logging equipment but mostly brass. Oh! I shouldn't forget the On30 equipment. Bachmann makes some neat loco's and old time cars if you are interested in narrow gauge. There are also a bunch of niche builders of On30 rolling stock that you will find in the magazines listed below.
    I would suggest the following magazines for reference information. Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette; Tall Timber Shortlines; Timber Times; Fine Scale Railroader( their annual Logging, Mining and Industrial Annual has a lot of good info). Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman also have articles on logging lines.
    Just as an "aside" that you may be interested in, There was a company in Canada that took the turret off of two surplus Sherman tanks and put log bunks on them for hauling logs. Now theres a model to combine your two interests.
    To answer your last question; Precision Scale here in Montana came out recently with an HO scale Lidgerwood and they had an O scale one a couple of years ago but it was a limited run and is sold out if I remember correctly.
  5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Here's a picture of a Mantua 2-6-6-2t.

Attached Files:

6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

nkp: Is your 2-6-6-2T one of the newer models with DCC capability or an older one?
  7. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Old. It dates from about 5th grade. My brother and I each had one...the only engines that could pull 5 passenger cars up our 7% grade mainline.

I didn't realize that they'd released new ones yet...Nice running engines.
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I see the DCC ready one's listed in ad's in a couple of magazines. They state "back order". They must be trying to get enough orders to make it worthwhile upgrading the Mantua models. Thought maybe you got lucky and had one delivered.
  9. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think Kaddee, the coupler people, made logging disconnect cars in ho scale.
  10. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Russ: Those disconnects are still available along with their skeleton log cars. Grandt line also makes disconnects and Precision Scale has some too. There are other manufacturers in different scales.