new to forum and model rring

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by fooldancing, Feb 28, 2005.

1. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

hi all,
    i am new to the forum and to model railroading for that matter. i just bought an O scale starter set for myself after have so much fun playing with my 2 1/2yr old and his Thomas and GeoTrac sets. i went with the Oscale for durability around the little one and i think he injoys it just as much as i do. i have VERY limited space to build (live in a 12x60 trailer) so i will have to do a lot of thinking layout through before i try to add anything.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Welcome to the Gauge.
    If you don't insist on turnarounds at each end, you can work up some nice long but narrow layouts. You can also build a short narrow layout -- much cheaper on the rolling stock.
  3. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

thanks for the reply and i will measure then test some ideas on paper.
    thanks again
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

One good thing about three-rail O is that you can do a dogbone layout that's basically a straight stretch of track with a switch on either end that turns into a loop. This causes the train to change direction at each end, so you can get a long, narrow layout that has the additional advantage of being more interesting to watch than a train going in circles. The loops have to be 3 feet minimum (depending on whose track you got), but the straight stretch can be 4 inches wide if that's all you have room for.
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge FD