New to cardmodeling

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Lionheart, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

Hello all! I'm very new to the card modeling experience. I have been a plastic guy since the 60's and have just discovered how good looking and detailed these card models can be. I've bought a few armor, planes and ship models, Hallinski and GPM. I want to get started on them BUT.... it would be total guess work on my part. As you all know the instructions are in Polish. So, does any one know of a website that someone has that has translated these instructions? I know there are translation sites out there, it would take me forever to enter the words in a few at a time.
    Appreciate the help, and I am so glad to be here!
  2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

welcome aboard. careful its very addicting. I generally
    find that the translations are worth the time in retrieving them. Just wing it. Here's a great article by an expert
    builder that I think is pretty accurate:

I also scan my models into the computer. this takes
    away a lot of the fear of destruction factor, if I mess it
    up, I can reprint the part. I can also resize/rescale
    and customize to my hearts content.
  3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

whoops that would be NOT worth the time in retrieving.

just some good photographs and diagrams are whats needed.
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

YES! I had seen this article before, But have never been able to find it again. IT is what first drew me to card modeling. Like the author, I had NO IDEA that this level of detail and the multitude of kits were out there. I have since bought that Halinski P51-D in hopes that I might find this build up article again. I have copied it to my hard drive and will begin tonight. Thank you!
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Check our parts bin, we have a few of the translated directions.

and I think a pdf file of Greg's article

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Most instructions are simply “glue parts 10a, 10b and 10c together†start in sequence Part 1 then part 2 and so on. Study the building diagrams and pre fit the parts before you glue them together. jleslie48 suggestion of scanning the model before you build it is excellent advice. I’ve been building paper models for since the early 60’s and I still screw up a part every now and again. Easy on the glue a little goes a long way. Don’t start on one of the monster kits with 1000 parts build a few of Chips Fiddlers green models for your first attempts. These kits though simple make into very nice models and you will build up your skill set to tackle a more complex model.

Half the fun of paper models is figuring out the puzzle of how they go together Plastics are more a matter of assembling some parts while most of the skill is in the painting of the model. After you have built a couple of paper models you will find that your plastic modeling skills will have improved.

Good Luck and please feel free to ask any questions there is a lot of experienced paper modelers on this list and we all are more then willing to convert you over to paper models.

Jim Nunn
  7. tino

tino Member

You can get the english instructions of the halinski models by just sending them one email.
    I also bild this P 51 and i have some pictures in my album if you need help just ask me.

Now building the GPM He 111

8. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

I truly appreciate all the good advice, Gentlemen. Thanks again. I'll try to keep you all appraised of my progress.

Tino, are the pictures of your P51 on-line?
  9. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Lionheart and any other newbies out there. Visit my site and drop me an email introducing yourselves. If you want to get started in some interesting models then you may want to look over the goodies there. I believe there are still a few freebies there.

Welcome to the madness.
  10. lgl007

lgl007 Member

Hi all,

jleslie48: Thank you for the complement in saying "expert modeler" ... if it were only true :wink: I still have so much to learn, and that is exactly why I wrote that article in such detail to help people like Lionheart with this sometimes confusing but highly addictive hobby of ours :roll:

I am in the process of writing another one of the Halinski Bismarck build... but that's still a long long way from finishing :wink: I took a bit of a break... with my son now 16 months old time is of the essence :wink:

Lionhard, the best advice I could ever give... from a beginner like me to a biginner like you... take your time... never push it and test fit everthing. I have posted the English instructions to the Halinski P-51 in the Parts Bin of this site for reference. I believe Halinski has English instructions for all their products... so just send them a quick e-mail via their website and they will forward a .pdf file for you.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions you have...

Cheers and happy building :D

11. tino

tino Member

Hi to all,
    yes Lionheart my pictures are on line in this forum if you clic in the link below of my post (the link to my site) he will not work because the site are temporary offline to refresh it.
    You can ask me what you want.
    Nice to see yo Greg.