New structures for the AD&N

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I was engaged in a lengthy process of reblocking, rewiring, and relaying all of the industrial spurs on my N scale AD&N. It was not my favorite. I finally got that completed and now have started back doing some modeling.

This was a Model Power Tank Filling Station Kit that I am using for my tank car loading rack at my chemical plant.

aac.sized.jpg

aad.sized.jpg

aae.sized.jpg

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I kitbashed this engine shed from two Rix kits.

aaj.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

aal.sized.jpg

aam.sized.jpg

aan.sized.jpg

It's nothing fancy, but neither is the prototype.

The engine shed will go to the left of the shop. That is what the other spur is for.

abb.sized.jpg

Prototype shed

aah.sized.jpg

Prototype Office

aak.sized.jpg

aal.sized.jpg

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Nice pics. I enjoyed them. Are you going to add the tall weeds growing between the tracks leading up to the shed? No, let's see. That won't work. It might cause problem with your locomotive.

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thanks, Y'all.

Here is the prototype engine shed and shop. When the AD&N was merged into the AL&M they took the sign off of the shop.

aac.sized.jpg

Here are my N scale versions in place on the layout.

aao.sized.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Great scene and matching. Some really subtle weathering is called for just to make it perfect. The tank filling station looks so much better from the low angle, doesn't it? If you're going to make structures that nice you should really think about lowering your track profile... (thwack!) ow ow ow please no hitting... :)

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thanks Y'all.

Tillsbury,

I plan on getting to some weathering in the future. This is Phase I of the first layout that I have ever built. I've learned alot. Maybe in the future when I start building another phase I might use code 55. I really wasn't sure my skills were up to it when I started, now I think I probably could. And besides, when I was getting started on this I had gotten a huge box of mostly new turnouts and track for $25.

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thanks.

Pat, those are quilting pins. Their purpose is to show which way the turnout is/should be lined. Throw the points to the green and that is the primary route, the direction the turnout should be normally thrown to. And that is where it should be left when you are through. Push it to the red for the alternate route. I also use them on my ground throws instead of track nails.

All the turnouts on my layout are manually thrown. I came up with that as an easy way to look at my turnouts and see which way they were lined. It has also cut down on me running through switches the wrong way.

I am converting all turnouts on my layout to Peco or ground throw and removing the all of the Atlas switch machines.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Tad , thats what I assumed they were for but how does it work? Maybe if posted a close up of the turnout it would make better sense to me I like the idea of manual turnouts and would like to explore all options before making my final decision which way to go for myself. Thanks alot Pat

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Pat,

This is how I did it.

First I bought a package of these.

aac.sized.jpg

Then I get out a green & a red.

aad.jpg

This is a Peco turnout. I decide which way is the primary route and which is the alternate route.
I insert the pins in the appropriate spike slots.

aae.sized.jpg

Points thrown for primary route.

aaf.sized.jpg

Points thrown for alternate route.

aag.sized.jpg

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
With an Atlas Custom Line turnout and a groundthrow.

A Caboose Industries 218S groundthrow kit and a green pin and a red pin.

aah.sized.jpg

I decide which is the primary route and which is the alternate route. With the points and groundthrow centered, I insert the pins in the appropriate sides in the spike holes on the groundthrow. On this turnout on my layout the primary route is through the diverging (curved) route on the turnout.

aai.sized.jpg

aaj.sized.jpg

Primary route selected.

aak.sized.jpg

Alternate route selected.

aal.sized.jpg

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
As an exercise in patience I highly recommend building a Walthers refinery kit. :cool:

This is the tall oil refinery for my Georgia-Pacific chemical plant. It still needs some light weathering.

aar.sized.jpg