New Space need track plan

Shaummy

Feb 21, 2003
Romeoville, IL, USA
home.comcast.net
Hi everyone,

I have a new space allotted to me (See attached pic) and I am not all that good with developing track plans.

This was someone's old benchwork that they gave to me,, so I'd like to keep it close to the way it is assembled if possible.

Anyone here willing to give it a shot for me?

I'd llike the ability to continuous run and I like to have my motive power visible at a service depot or something.

Then just a couple of industries to work with I guess.

Thanks in advance.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Shaummy,

Wow, you have alot of room for a great layout! What scale are you working with?

I know you don't want to alter the benchwork too much, but on the left, you might want to open up the wlakway a bit so the reach is not too far. Looks like the far left would be 4 ft from the opening. Also a personal preference of mine is to eliminate square corners and straight edges as much as possible, especially if not against a wall. Not all of them, just some, to give it a earthy appearance.

Next week I can try to draw a plan once I know what scale, hopefully one of the other gaugers will have some ideas sooner.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think more information is needed. What kind of railroad are you modeling? What era, in other words what minimum radius do you need for either your present equipment or future purchases, including any long cars?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Shaummy, sorry I couldn't get it done last week, I'll try soon. Can't get the software to work on my machine at home :(

Do you have walk-around access to all sides? The left side of the benchwork worries me; it will be very hard to work across a 4 ft reach.

Meanwhile, you might look at some of shamus's plans for HO:

Badger Creek Lumber Co.

Just click track plans onthe left :)

Shaummy

Feb 21, 2003
Romeoville, IL, USA
home.comcast.net
It's not a problem guys, I just wanted to bump it up so others may contribute if they wish.

As for the access...the only wall is at the top of my picture. all other sides are accessible and the reach isn't too bad on the left side, as you can reach 1/2 way on each side.

As for givens/druthers I'm looking for at least 1 continuous run possibility, a modern loco shop (I have a triple platform engine facility i.e. 2 tracks) then some industry and hopefully some sort of yard to store/makeup trains.

If room exists I'd like to run an occasional passenger train.

I have basically 4 axle Geeps and a couple of 6 axle units. I'm guessing that the minimum radius would be 24-25" but would consider smaller for branch lines or industries.

Evrything else is up for grabs...I'm just not that creative. When I designed my 5 X 9 ft table I crammed way too much trackage in which made it unrealistic.

This is the right side of the drawing I posted and it has been cleared of track.

Does that help any with my ideas??

Hope so.

Thanks.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are running 24"-25" radius, I would stick with the shorter 75' passenger cars. I'm not sure full length 85' would tolerate that tight a radius. Athearn has really improved the paint on their decorated cars. You could try out one 85' passenger car on the layout once the layout is built to see if it will handle the radius you have.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Shaummy, just note that the Auxilliary tracks in the plan constitute a WYE and will have o have a bit of extra wiring, either an extra direction switch if you use DC or a reverse loop module if you use DCC.
(just spent 2 hours in a DCC clinic yesterday. Ask me anything!)