New sound ready BLI locomotives

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Aparently BLI is selling its locomotives with sound but without a DCC decoder. I am cruious as to how this will effect the operation and usage of sound when a DCC decoder is installed.

it seems cheaper to buy it with the sound and but a lower end decoder in than to buy a fully equipped locomotive, but i worry if there is some sort of catch to this.

nhguy

May 14, 2003
Sugar City,Colorado
rides.webshots.com
This is right out off the BLI web site:

"DC Sound-Equipped, DCC Ready.
DCC users can quickly and easily install their favorite DCC decoders into the included plug 'n' play socket. This allows for both sound and operation control of the loco."

Plug in your favorite decoder and away you go. Appearently when it detects the DCC AC voltage it will switch over give you the DCC sounds.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
You folks are referring to BLI's NEW line of engines coming out, the "Blue Line";). this line is geared for the DC users that want sound equipped engines, and the new "Blue Line" is supposed to be hassle free for the DC user:thumb:. I'm not sure what to make of them yet, its NEW, so only time will tell;).

i have a BLI engine(GBW Alco RSD-15), it came w/DCC and sound, and have found it to be a GREAT PRODUCT!:thumb: i run DCC, so i seriously doubt i will be trying the NEW "Blue Line", i have a UP AC6000 on pre-order right now that comes w/DCC and sound already installed. HOWEVER; if ANYONE reading this gets a "Blue Line" engine, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW THEY ARE!:thumb: i would find it interesting to know just how they work, how they sound/run, etc.;) THANKS!:D-Deano

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I might buy that blue line. the main reasoning being is that it seems that i can buy the locomotive cheaper ( $160 or so) , and I only need a cheaper digitrax decoder ($35 at most). instead of buying the whole thing for $250 and up, i can buy it for about $200 or less. I think i'd like the extra $50 in my pocket.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
g_e_c, GOOD POINT!:thumb: If i was running DC, THIS WOULD BE ON THE TOP OF MY LIST!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
...but the way i see it, i AM RUNNING DCC, and since BLI is one of the TOP PLASTIC engine model makers, i cant see treating it like an Athearn "DCC READY" engine. BLI models are TOP NOTCH, so to ME i would rather pay the $50.00 and get one with DCC and sound already installed. i know they work GREAT, and this way i don't have to mess with getting a decoder, taking the shell off, installing the decoder, and since its a NEW line, have to worry about how compatible it will be with the decoder i put in it;). if i wanted to go through all that, i would just buy an -ANY OTHER BRAND- "DCC READY" engine and put a DCC w/sound decoder in it, the cost would be the same or cheaper then $200.00...BUT HEY, thats just MY thoughts;). :D-Deano

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I think the Blue line will be BLI's last gasp. Too bad, I got a nw2 with QSI sound and a decoder and it's a great little loco.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I heard a rumor that they were going O.B.

It seems very backwards to me to cobble up some kind of sound system for DC. What controls it? then when you install a decoder. Does it hafta be a sound decoder?!