New Soldering Tool - 'Cold Heat'

bigdonnie

I bought this soldering tool on Saturday and used it for soldering all of the switch/LED connections on a control panel.

I soldered about 100 connections using it and I only have one word for it --- amazing! Once you try it, you'll never want to go back to a standard soldering iron again (at least for lighter duty soldering --- haven't tried it yet for track feeders, for example).

Check it out at www.coldheat.com

DeaconF

Cold

I have seen this product advertised and was wondering about it. I model in a room and a country that gets cold and I would sware that the ambient temp. effects my soldering iron. I may give this a try - any other testimonials. thanks Frank

Iron Goat

Thanks for the info, Big Donnie... I saw one advertised on TV, and another one sold by Radio Shack (both looked fairly simular and both cost appprox. $20.00). Would you mind sharing which one you bought ?

Thanks... Bob :thumb:

3phase

Iron Goat said:
Thanks for the info, Big Donnie... I saw one advertised on TV, and another one sold by Radio Shack (both looked fairly simular and both cost appprox. $20.00). Would you mind sharing which one you bought ?

Thanks... Bob :thumb:
$20 isn't bad! I'm a sucker for stuff i dont need but want to try out.

hminky

I have one really works well. PEP Boys had one advertised in the paper circular for 17 dollars.

Hope that helps
Harold

:thumb: AutoZone also sells them for $19.99. I bought one about three months ago but haven't had the need to try it out yet.

Dick
Texas Chief

Sir_Prize

Spoke with the fellow from the N-gineering Website (they do LED lights and such... Great people)
He said it uses what is called resistence soldering, and said it would cause a problem using
it for the attaching lines to the LED's. Hadn't tried it myself; than again haven't ever soldered myself either.

bigdonnie

I would question what this fellow told you --- I just finished wiring my control panel (which includes 12 bi-polar LEDs) and didn't have a problem.

One word of caution --- I did just about 100 connections on the panel using this unit and, near the end (ie the last couple of connectors), it was not melting the solder very well at all. I noticed that the 0.5 mm gap in the tip has increased in size by about 50% +/- and I suspect that this affects how it works. I've sent an E-mail to the manufacturer and will share their response if and when I get one. The replacement tips are not cheap (quoted at $10 US on their web site), so I would hate to be replacing one after every 100 'solders'.

DeaconF

Limit

I did see on the web site link you provided that there is a limit. These units may be a throw away. I still think they will be great for us. I will be getting one for xmas. Santa has already commited to a stocking stuffer. thanks again Frank

Sempak

Do Americans normally not pronounce the L in soldering? It sounds weird to me hearing the guys on the videos on that site saying soddering :confused:

It looks like a good tool, I'll have to see where I can find one down under :D

Iron Goat

Big Donnie,

I saw where the batteries are good for approx. 100 connections... have you changed batteries ? (Just a "shot in the dark "...)

Bob :confused:

rcline

Sempak - I use to teach Mil-Std High Rel Soldering for the D.O.D. (Dept of Defence).
Although it should be pronounced with the "L", nobody does. Not even myself! In 1988 I went to a MIL-Std High Rel soldering school for 30 days in Ft. Mommoth, NJ. and those people did raise heck about how to pronounce soldering. But they are the ONLY ones that I ever heard cry about it. And yes to me, it should be spelled and pronounce as soddering.

rcline

3phase! Is that a Sq-D 200A HOM in your avatar? It's hard to tell by looking at the small size of our avatars. And did you wire it?

bigdonnie

Here is the response I received from the manufacturer regarding tip life:

If your tip is not heating up quickly anymore you may have drained your batteries to the point where they need to be replaced. Did you try a fresh set of batteries yet?

Regarding the tip life expectancy, in testing, over 6,000 joints were made with some tips before replacement was needed; however it will vary somewhat depending how much pressure is used on the tip. Please use only light pressure when actively soldering.

If the gap between the tip widens you may need to replace it with a new one. You may also try tilting the tip at different angles to maintain better contact with your workpiece.

Occasionally solder may become fixed in the gap between the Split-Tip™ electrodes. It should generally melt away. If it does not and it becomes cumbersome, shut the unit off, and then use a thin, non-conductive material to wedge it out. Any other metallic parts fixed in the gap should be removed with care, as the tip may become hot during this operation. Be sure the tool is off while performing this procedure.

Thank you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Rachel

Joepomp

Sodder

Sempak said:
Do Americans normally not pronounce the L in soldering? It sounds weird to me hearing the guys on the videos on that site saying soddering :confused:

It looks like a good tool, I'll have to see where I can find one down under :D

Yes:sodder is the correct! It is also Aluminum not Alumineum and Zee not Zed!

I have had these arguments with some of your countrymen before, however they insist our toilets flush the wrong way! :D

F

Fred_M

Actually Americans speak American, but, English in American is defined as what we speak, so we Americans speak English. We call that a circular argument. Fred