New site? May also be copy right infinging?

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

Agreed David.... Personally I think it's a question of respect to those publishers as well. Regardless of whether they have leagl rights in the earlier models or not. We should still defend their interests, because without them we simply wouldn't have all the wonderful model kits to build.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Don't take my comments the wrong way - I'm all about protecting the rights of the model designers. I just don't know that I agree that quietly hiding the sites that pirate models away is the best way to accomplish this.
    I tend to have the idealogical feeling that most people want to do the right thing. I also know that if you don't know if something is wrong or right, you are going to assume it's right unless given specific information otherwise.
    If it is the wish of the moderators of this forum to not publish the sites of known pirate model distributors, I will certainly follow that wish. I just wonder if it's the best way to stop the piracy and protect the designers.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

It is a tough call, that's for sure. Kinda like the news. People have the need and/or right to be informed. But at the same time, when does news coverage become advertising? Byu that, I mean, how much of the stupid crap people do that you see on the news happens because those people want to be on the news??

Kinda the same with the pirates. I can see the potential of someone knowing that there is a list of "These sites are offering pirated models" and wanting to be on it so that they get the free advertising. You want to let the public and the publishers know you are trying to keep the hobby honest, but without giving instructions to "The Dark Side"
  4. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I think a list of pirate sites is a bad idea. It will only serve those looking for those sites. Anyone that has been around card models for any length of time has probably come across most of the major publishers.
    It took me about 2 weeks here before I was familiar with all the names of the major publishers and I can't imagine it would take much longer for anyone that actually stays with this hobby for very long.
    If you know the names of the publishers and you happen across a site that has models from those publishers for free download it is a very safe bet that you have found a pirate site. At that point most of us will will report the site to publishers whose models are contained there and never visit the site again.
    My point is that most of us don't need a list to tell us when something isn't legit. I guess the list could be helpful to new comers that want to steer clear of those sites but i think it would do more harm than good.
    Anyone that isn't sure about a site has always been able to PM any moderator about it and ask.
    Something that has not been mentioned yet is that there are a lot of models on that site that are out there for free (and some that are no longer out there) and should not be on that site without the designers permission.

These should be just as important to us to protect as the FG, Halinski, Malty, or any other commercial publisher.
  5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I had actually registered for that site and downloaded a few models before this thread came up. I hadn't caught any models that were publishers I knew in my searching. Unfortunately I don't log where each and every model I get comes from - so I don't even know what I dl'd from there. Should I go and delete every model I've got downloaded that I can't verify was from another site?
    Obviously I now know that I shouldn't trust anything from that site, but as I didn't run across the examples mentioned (and actually caught a couple free tank models that reference that the color version is for sale at a specific website) - I'm not sure what I've got that might be wrong to print and build.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Most likely if you open it to print later you will realize its a pirate model. You are aware of it so I personally wouldnt worry about it too much.
  7. David H

David H Member

Active defence: The League of Card-modelling Justice.

If we all just sat and down loaded and down loaded from these sites would we not soon exceed their bandwidth and cause the bad guys a headache?

Or would they become rich on advertisements?

8. sakrison

sakrison Member

Okay, I understand that the legal status of those earlier models' copyrights may be in question. But what about ethics? It seems to me that that we should honor the spirit, as well as the letter of copyright laws, especially since those who might legitimately hold copyrights might not have the means to protect them.

Our standard should be "Protected by copyright until proven otherwise."

When a model can be purchased from a legitimate source (as in the case of Maly's old kits released on CDs) we should assume the existence of a copyright until someone proves otherwise. If you feel compelled or justified to ignore a publisher's or designer's (possible) claim to intellectual property, then do so, but do it quietly. And remember that "character" is defined by what you do when no one else is looking.

9. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Wow, now I think I am sorry I started the thread. . .
    I think morally we should let each other know of a bad site, My intention of the thread...A list would only allow those who would support such sites to prosper. I have PAID for some of the models that were being given away free. I am upset with that. Also, Since I support legitimate sites By purchasing, I allowed the designers and website owners who are GETTING RIPPED OFF the opurtunity to do something about it. If we let eachother know of bad sites, we can hopefully cut down on their buisness, but if we do nothing at all, good sites like FG and GREMIR and digital navy to name a few may some day die. I grew up in an area where there were 4 hobby stores within biking and walking distance of my home. I now have to deal by internet or drive for an hour to get to a hobby store. My son is learning hobbies he has intrests in...we can not let card modeling die. Other wise all that would be left would be the printer companies putting out ok models to sell ink and printers..I love these private companies that put out some really neat and unusual models for the love of it...I now step down from my soap box as I am tired and ranting..PS stop bickering! We are all in this TOGETHER otherwise why belong? Everyone has a right to an opinion, but we should stand together to stop theft, piracey is theft of intelectual property. . .(sorry the cop in me comming out) Love you all like brothers...PEACE
  10. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

There isn't any bickering in the thread at all.... Everybody has been respectful of each others opinion.

That's not to say that we all entirely agree with each other. But there is nothing wrong with healthy debate on a subject. As you yourself said everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  11. I need a Pin up girl. . .

cool, as long as thats all it is, I have dealt with too much trouble in my life, and I don't want to be resposible for arguing starting arguing or anyone getting upset. . ., healthy debate is always cool. . .I guess i was in a downer mood, i get that way some times...i apoligize for any offnse...i just want to help and enjoy....
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Copyrights should and must be protected or for some people who make their living and contribute so much there would be no point. On the other hand, we live in a nation of laws and when the copyright is up, the copyright is up. How could schools or anyone who performs musicals of plays ever do so if the rights were respected in perpetuity. I personally believe when something is in public domain, for whatever reason, as long as it is so legitimately then that's the end of it, it is up for grabs. A list of pirated sites would only fan the fire of those who offer pirated models. The great thing about this site is the vast knowledge of it's members in not only knowing when something is a pirated copy, but their general knowledge of papercraft in making that determination.
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

Rather than a list of pirated sites, a list of copyrighted material, so that if you "stumble across" a site with that material, you will know that it is a pirate site?
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's a really good idea. It makes so much sense I can understand why I didn't think of it. Right on the money!!
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sounds like a great addition to the WIKI to me. If someone feels so inclined to start a thread to generate a list.... Oh wait, I can do that! ;)
  16. dansls1

dansls1 Member

To quote 2 goofy guys in a beer commercial - Brilliant!