New simplified plan

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
After much thought and revision I have come up with a much simpler track plan. The pictures below show 2 previous versions which looked great on paper but when I laid the track it seemed there were too many turnouts for the space. I think I was trying to cram too much in.

Scrapped the ambitious plan to scratchbuild Canada Malting (the grain elevator) for the time being, and also the ship model which in itself according to the maker of the kit is a 3-month project, so that I can get to running trains sooner.

Here are the first 2 plans, neither of which I am using.

Val

plan1.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
And here is the simplified plan I am using. I actually created this trackplan after the fact. Instead of trying to draw it out, I laid out the actual track on the layout. This way it looks good to my eye, and not just on paper.

There's some photo's of the layout here

plan3.jpg

Val

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
You already I know I like this new plan. Nice to have a bit of history in seeing the old plan - I haven't seen those until now. I agree, the first one looks like a contest to use as many turnouts as you can! :p I think it's the "diamond" (lower right) that pushes it over the edge.

The new plan opens up more breathing room for the scenery that you have planned. I also note how you've included stuff like abandoned sidings and the line for sand cars! Very cool and very well thought out. :) I was scratching my head trying to fit the trackplan with the pictures - until I went back and read what you put. LOL, guess I should do that FIRST next time. :D

One last thing: Very nice graphics! It's amazing how much easier it is to visualize things when the graphics are so well done.

:thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thats the idea Val, keep it simple and it looks better and works better.
Shamus

CN1

May 6, 2003
What happen to the ship:confused:
I like ships, I'll miss it:(:cry: :D

Well done Val:thumb:

My well-though-out plan never survived the
collision with reality. I must admit that for a
newbie, it turned out for the better.

I'm taking pictures of my layout as we speak
on my trusty 35 mm camera. I'll transfre the
pictures to a CD and I'll post them
here for your.....hu......enjoyements?.....

:confused: :) ;)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Paul, Alex. Another consideration besides looks was also tracklaying. As a complete novice, having little 1" - 2" sections joining turnouts all over the place was asking for trouble.

CN1, yes, it was with some regret that I decided not to have the ship. I had visions of how spectacular it would look sitting in front of the the huge Canada Malting elevator - the first thing you would see as you entered the layout room.

However, once again I had to face reality and admit to myself that the likeliehood that I would ever finish such a complicated and expensive model to my own satisfaction (ie without ruining something) was pretty slim. So instead I decided to focus on getting some trains running and I'm glad I did.

To me, that's the kind of project I will can get to once everything else is done and I'm retired!!!!

Val

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Originally posted by spitfire
However, once again I had to face reality and admit to myself that the likeliehood that I would ever finish such a complicated and expensive model to my own satisfaction (ie without ruining something) was pretty slim.
Val, I don't think you give yourself enough credit! Let me tell you a little story behind my desire to scratch-build. About 7 or 8 years ago, I had (and still do!) an interest in sailing ships and have always wanted to build a model of one. My then girlfriend (now ex) at the time bought me one as a present. It was a $120 kit that I was too scared to "ruin". So, using my wood stock pile, I proceeded to scratch build every laser cut part that came with the kit and build the ship at 1/2 its original scale. Well, to make a long story short, the little ship came out as nice as any kit would yield and I quickly had a buyer for it (which allowed me to purchase more kits!)

The moral of this story? Don't let the fear of ruining a kit stop you from fulfilling your dream in model-making! We all know you can handle it. :D

CN1

May 6, 2003
Val, don't worry what you have looks f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c.
:thumb: :thumb:

I wanted a ship too, but reality told me otherwised. I'll have to wait until I'm retired too:D :D Until than I'm running trains, getting beter (I hope:rolleyes: :D ) and having fun.

Keep us posted, I love what you do:thumb: :wave:

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Val, good call on the first layout.The real RR woulda fired your butt for even proposing it LOL.
I like your last proposal as a workable simplistic plan.
Considering you do have a runaround track you could put a spur in to the bread factory(bakery) to spot a hopper of flour. You could also add a spur off the runaround into the building itself for a boxcar to ship racks of baked goods.(i'm thinking Walthers makes a few nice starter kits for this type building.Think Red Wing Milling :)Add a silo or 2 etc.Your scratchbuilding efforts to date have been very good.This one should be easy for ya :D

By the way, those sidings should be light rail,overgrown with weeds with a generally neglected look.Or Not ;)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the suggestions Tileguy. Trouble is I've already laid and ballasted the track in the area you're talking about and I don't plan to rip it up a second time.

Funny thing about that first trackplan - it was the guy at the LHS who suggested all the extras given I wanted a spur to the grain elevators and a diamond somewhere. He's since gone out of business, which is too bad, but in the meantime, I have learned a lot more about how track really works and have a plan which is going to allow me to learn more about switching.

:D Val

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well ya know Val, you got all them tractors.Perhaps the bakery can just use them to tow a wagon of goods over to the runaround :D
By the way, no need to be so formal.you can call me Todd.;)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Boooo Hoooooo

QUOTE ", it was with some regret that I decided not to have the ship. I had visions of how spectacular it would look sitting in front of the the huge Canada Malting elevator - the first thing you would see as you entered the layout room."

:( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Oh no, how I hate to see a grown man cry!!!!!!

Cheer up Vic, my friend, I didn't say I was never going to build it. It's just that if I wait to build it I am never going to get the dang layout operational, and right now that is my top priority.

According to the owner of Sylvan Models (the maker of the ship kit) it's about a 3-month project. Having built one of their much smaller truck cab kits I can tell you that at least a month of that is going to be spent removing flashing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Something I do not relish.

Then, once I get the layout operational my next priority is to build the NTRAK module for this summer's inaugural GaugeMods BBQ. So this is why Canada Malting and that glorious ship are going to have to wait for awhile.

Please don't hate me!!!!

:D :D :D :D Val

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Val, this hobby is fun so there is never a need to rush into things. Going with the simpler plan will give you many enjoyable hours of switching, then when ready, add your next project. Layouts never get finished do they?:confused: