new siding

Free-mo Tim

Loren,

I might have missed some info (happens all the time) about the "time frame" of your layout. The reason I ask is there is potential for another siding to service your industry. (which has/hasn't been decided??)

If you are modeling anytime up until the EPA era, coal was used for heat and power generation. A siding for the occasion (weekly or bi-weekly) hopper of coal could add some interest. I can draw it out for you, if you like the concept.

Regards from Ohio, :wave:

Tim

Nomad

Hey Tim, thanks for the reply. I don't have a time frame yet, and may never have one.
Thanks to Mason Jar's idea, I can squeeze three sidings in there, so that would be a reason for the extra siding. I have no idea what I would need for that, so if you could draw it out, that would be great. Thank you.

Loren

Free-mo Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for the reply. I don't have a time frame yet, and may never have one.
Thanks to Mason Jar's idea, I can squeeze three sidings in there, so that would be a reason for the extra siding. I have no idea what I would need for that, so if you could draw it out, that would be great. Thank you.

Loren

Loren,

I've attached the drawing below.

Originally, my thought was to bring a short spur off the mainline on the right side of the drawing towards the powerhouse location.

Then it came to me; if the "needed" coal action was less than the other activity on a spur, that spur could be "extended" to handle a carload or two. The switching of the hoppers could be done whenever that siding needed to be pulled. You could change this concept to fuel oil by adding a small oil storage tank in addition to the powerhouse.

Just some ideas. Your layout, your choices, you're right!:thumb:

Regards from Ohio

Tim

Attachments

• industry2_plus_powerhouse.jpg
    industry2_plus_powerhouse.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 6

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Nice idea! Makes the industry seem that much bigger - having its own powerhouse and coal track. :thumb:

Andrew

Nomad

Hello everyone:wave:
Well, here is what I finally came up with. I took Mason Jars Idea,

You might consider another track in behind the open loading dock. You might use a curved switch just "north" of the RH turnout shown in your diagram. This has the makings of a major industry...! :wink:

Andrew

And added extra tracks.

Then I took Russ'es idea and ran with it,

I had not thought of it when I first this thread a few days ago, but when the company I worked for was located in downtown Los Angeles before the move out to City Of Industry in the early 1990's, there was a tank manufacturing company right behind our back fence. If I remember correctly they made both pressurized tanks for propane or compressed air as well as unpressurized tanks to hold fuels or oils. A model of that plant would fit your footprint nicely. It had two tracks coming in right next to each other. In front of the office on Alameda Street, they had finished tanks displayed for sale. They had an enclosed office building with an open sided shed covering the the 2 tracks and an outdoor work area and an overhead crane like the Walthers model on the following page:

Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 933-3102.

It would need to be reduced in size to fit the prototype which was a smaller crane operated by an operator on the ground working a switch box on a cable.

The office building was just a simple stucco building.

I don't have a Walther's catalog, and can't seem to find what I'm looking for on their web page, but the open shop would be like a Pike Stuff building supported by steel steel arches and beams, but no sides.

This company received 3 mill gons loaded with steel plate and various structural shapes about 2 or 3 times a month. They would send 1 gon back when they were unloaded, and keep the other 2 for loading scap steel as they built the tanks. They would generally have 2 gons loaded with scrap steel and ready to be hauled out when they were ready for more steel to build tanks with.

So, the first two tracks will be manufacturing ( widgets) where steel in gondola's will come in. After that the widgets would be palatized and forked to the loading dock on the third track to be loaded into box cars. The forth track will be propane tank(s) for the manufacturing process.
So, what do y'all think?

Loren

Attachments

• new siding4.jpg
    new siding4.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 8

Stu McGee

Hi there, I might change up some switching to make life an challenge, as for flat and profile scenery there is a ton on good stuff out there which with some detail and lamination to foam core can look real sharp. If you are like me, that makes backrounds easier, I am a lousy scene painter just ask Clark Dunham.

Pooh Bah
Man, you shouldn't talk to us guys; you've gone from one switch to three and the building is much more complex than you expected.

The explanation sounds good; can we interest you in shipment of industrial grade flux?

Nomad

Talking to you guys has given me the best layout I have ever had, David.
I owe you all a big thank you !
And, now that I think about it, a coating of flux would make the widgets work better, I guess I better talk to Dr Wayne.

Loren

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Loren,

Talking to you guys has given me the best layout I have ever had, David.
I owe you all a big thank you !

We'll be right over for a operating session...! ;) You supply the beer and chips for the inaugural run (as dictated by tradition :D).

Andrew

Nomad

Man, you guys would be disapointed. All I have is vegie chips and caffiene free diet root beer.

Loren

Nomad

Steve, thanks for the compliment.
I use flex track, so the curves are whatever will fit, but minimum is 18" radius.
I also have a thread I started on the layout here..
http://forum.zealot.com/t153782/
I am in the process of changing some things.
Any other questions, just ask.

Loren