New shelf layout design/build thread

richalex2010

Yup, as MC-130 support planes working as a team with MH-53 Pave Low IIIs (and other helis as well, maybe), as Coast Guard and airborne firefighting planes, and there are some AC-130s, as well.

Off to find out who makes 1:144 scale transports, helis, and bombers...

Don't forget, this is now the idea for my full-sized layout... I need ideas for a shelf layout :)

lp3tampa

Cargo planes

Hello first time poster and new to the forum. I am in the Air Force down at Macdill. I hate to break this to you, but you will never see any cargo planes close to an exterior perimeter. That would create tons of security issues. As far as model layouts go though that little ecerpt can be thrown out. Todays modern cargo planes are the C-130 troop transport, C-5 Galaxy and the C-17 Globemaster. Normally a forklift will move cargo to and from plane and docks. My dad used to talk to me about the trains that the Army used to have. The switcher used to carry boxcars and flatcars in and out of the Army posts and that they still have a couple to this day in operation.

lp3tampa said:
Hello first time poster and new to the forum. I am in the Air Force down at Macdill.
Welcome to the Club - Are you building or just planning?
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands (Ex-RAF)

lp3tampa

Thats a big question

I am trying to plan and build. I am 25 years old and had life hold me back to many times to start a layout. So I finally got a career that can support me and family(military). Now armed with a big fat tax return i am finally going to start building a layout that i have constantly been wanting to build. I have surfed the forums, the websites, the real sites and hobby stores for at least 10 years and the one thing that i realize is that i am the only one without grey hair and understands todays lingo that's interested in this hobby.

So go for it! If you have questions - ask! I guess that in your job, you need something either small, or modular, or both, that can go with you when you move - been there, done that, many, many times!
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

jetrock

lp3tampa: There are a few folks around who don't have gray hair yet--in fact, some of the folks on this forum don't even shave yet. I am starting to get my first couple of gray hairs at 37, probably from doing prototype research. Welcome to the forum--you've already added to the knowledge base here, with your advice on prototype military operations for the original poster.

Sunburn

There is one other variation you could play with. The concept of a non-dedicated airstrip. Think of all the ANG and Reserve facilities, not to mention OLF (OutLying Fields) that are at commercial airports. In the Twin Cities the Hiawatha Line LRT runs right between and alongside facilities for Army, Navy and Air Force Reserves, NG and ANG. With the right kind consists, you could do it. Some perspective cheating will have to be done though.