New shelf layout (16' x 2')

crazyro

Dec 18, 2008
I'm in the early planning stages for a possible garage layout (16' x 2'), with another possible extension (mainly staging). I've been dreaming about this thing for a while and have gone through a few different versions, but this one I like the most so far.
I love passenger train operations (I may include a spur or two for some freight switching after I add the extension) - I grew up around them, riding them (even got to ride a loco once as a six year old and the engineer let me blow the horn for some of the crossings), so they're in my blood.
The main line may even become electrified (my favorite passenger trains).
Once the extension is in place, trains will come and go in and out of staging. Until then, they will serve only as models on the tracks, while the regional line will provide me some operating interest.
What do you guys think?

sncfr.jpg

TrainGuyRom

Apr 27, 2008
Madison WI
It looks possible. That blue line (if it's tracks) is pushing it. What era are you modeling, becouse that has a great influence on what radii to use, what scenery to use, etc. ? Please post some more plans.

TGR

crazyro

Dec 18, 2008
The track in blue should be fine, except for the hidden areas (which, as stated are 11.25" radius). The problem I have is that I like to model modern times. Not sure what type of equipment I could run on that line. That's why, in the other thread, I mentioned DMUs and EMUs. Since this whole thing would be freelanced anyway, running some European or Asian trains may be fine. I've also thought about modeling this after an European-type city (I grew up in Eastern Europe).
So, the thing is, my 85' cars will negotiate those 11.25" radii, but they would look horrible.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reminds me a lot of many British layouts. I guess it's the hidden end curves.

I don't think the plausibility issue with the blue line is with curves. Most N-scale passenger cars will get around 11". They'll look cumbersome doing it, but you've hidden most of that. My issue is with grades. Where the blue line crosses the double-track black line in the open, is that a level crossing or a bridge?

TrainGuyRom

Apr 27, 2008
Madison WI
I think you could run 4-axel engines on there. Today there are still 4-axels running on both BNSF and UP. I have been to Rochelle (Ilinois) where there is a double-diamond with UP & BNSF crossing each other every 20 minutes or so... anyway I still see lots of 4-axels running by (60% or so are 4-axels) on this crossing.

Good luck with your layout
TGR