New Pulp and Paper Mill at Ottertail

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Here is the current track plan for my proposed Pulp and Paper Mill at Ottertail. (I'm sure it will change by the time I start laying the track!) I might have an operating session over the holidays, and then start building the bechwork for it after that. I figure the mill should get about 15-20 cars a day, enough work to keep a crew busy durring an op session. The mill buildings will be mostly flats or about 2 inches thick along the backdrop, ( the right side of the track plan) The aisle is on the left side, or the outside of the curve.

7.jpg

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Looks like a tremendous plan. Saw that you noted more woodpulp tracks on 'another' board. Could you give us a list of ships/receives for each siding position to clarify what goes on, particularly with the lesser used tracks on the inside? And what is 'pull down' on the far right and on the far left?

Charles

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I revised the track plan to add more room for woodchip cars, and another storage track. I was told that it takes 4 tonnes over wood to make 1 tonne of paper! So I needed to make more room for the wood chip cars!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't have any yet, there are a few places I know of that still have some. I didn't realize they were hard to find. I might have to get the soon!

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
mike

are you talking about the deluxe (?) wood chip cars ? i have 6 lettered for cn. also my lhs might have a few three-packs left. let me know if i should check with my lhs.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I was going to get the LBF cars, they already have Micro Trains trucks and couplers on them. There are only 4 different road names, but that should be good enough for a start.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I haven't got the new switches or track yet, but that didn't stop me from ripping out everything that was at Ottertail, tomorrow I might start on the benchwork! This will show how much room the mill is going to take up.

8.jpg

9.jpg

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
guys....are you sure this isn't mikes 0-4-0 ??

mike...
did you rip out the track in this section ??

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It's my little girls 0-4-0, she will be 3 in a couple of weeks, she has ran a few trains up the Spiral Tunnels. I've been teaching her how to use a DigiTrax throttle! She is actually not that bad!

Kids seem to have a definite eye-hand co-ordination gift. The last time I built a house, I arrived onsite to see the excavator digging the foundation hole into the hillside. Making good progress, too. When I got closer, I saw that his 7 year-old daughter was sitting on his lap working the controls. She had done the whole thing so far except moving the machine, because her legs couldn't reach the pedals.

Later in the project, he came back himself to finish the backfilling. He managed to roll a huge boulder down the hill, bounce it off the foundation wall, cracking it. I wished he had brought his little girl back to finish the job.

Wayne