New project

carlos m garcia

Hi guys
I started a new project and I will like some imput from the more experiece builders.
My project is small house out of a picture I down louded from the internet, is my first building from scratch, and I mean scrach all the wood Im using is cedar and is cut by me, the reason Im using cedar is because is eaze to work with and smells good.
Picture # 1 This is my inspiration down lowded from the net.
Notice I made some lines tofigure out the roof dimentions.
picture.jpg
Picture # 2 This is a scale plan I made to visualise the size of the house.
plans.jpg
Picture # 3 My humbell shop ( The Mill )
shop2.jpg
Picture # 4 I use masking tape to place all the boards toguether before building the interior frame.
building walls.jpg
Picture # 5 After the walls are put toguether I cut windows and doors, and add any interior frame as the floor underframe, and walls.
DSC00091.jpg
Picture # 6 As you can see one wall allready has the interior frame.

After all the pictures what I want to know is if Im nut for cuting all my wood,and building the inside as if Iwas going to have a city inspector come in, I have seen some of you guys work and I hope some day Ill be half as god.
Ideas,advice and critics are allways wellcome. wall1

Attachments

• DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4

Gary S.

Looks like you are off to a good start on an interesting project. I don't think you are nuts for cutting your own wood, or doing the interiors. By doing this project, you are going to learn alot about what is feasible or necessary, and you will gain new skills for future projects.

Nomad

That is going to be one sweet building when your done:thumb:. And I don't think your anymore insane then the rest of us. Sure, there's easier ways, but would it be as much fun?

Loren

N

nachoman

did that scroll saw work well for cutting the wood? Cutting your own is a lot cheaper.

Kevin

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
First scratchbuild, using board by board construction, cut to size by yourself, and its started out looking great.
And your problem is...........?

Pooh Bah
If you enter this in a model building contest, you should get extra points for prototype building methods. Also extra points for making your own plans from the photo. Cutting your own wood is also good.
It looks as if you'll have a neat little model when done. And a lot of satisfaction.

carlos m garcia

Thank you guys for telling me that Im not nuts, my kids allways tell me I have to much time in my hands, and I respond some people spend a lots of money going to doctors, I just go to my garage and in HO scale I can go any place I want with out spending to much.
I will post new picture as the project progreses, and to answer your question KIVEN yes the scroll saw works real god, my is a varible speed and for the real small parts I found you realy need it. What I do is on a 10" table saw cut board out a 2x6" srap cedar tha my friend save for me out of his work, the board I cut are 1/4x2" and then on the scroll saw I cut what I need for the model,one thing you need to remenber is to guide, and hold down the cut as you see in the picture.
Again thank you guy for the oportunity to share my insanaty.wall1

nkp174

Very nice work. It reminds me of the sort of think Derrell Poole would do.

If you scroll down...you'll see some of his work:
The Cimarron Works Gallery

He uses a Dremel table saw and an accuriser from Micro-mark.

I prefer to do most things board by board...but my shoe string hobby budget causes me to use scribed siding frequently (enough siding/flooring/roofing for a car for $2 instead of paying $12-$20...I use styrene primarily)

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Carlos- You have a lot of patience, I couldn't do what you are doing, it looks really great so far. I love your idea about drawing those lines on the photograph to visualize the roof.