new project:ore tipple

N

nachoman

I decided I needed an ore tipple for the ore cars that I am building. Here are the beginnings. I am using illustration board I had laying around from other projects and some scrap wood. The illustration board has been scribed to simulate planking.

kevin

Attachments

• ore1.jpg
    ore1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ore2.jpg
    ore2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ore3.jpg
    ore3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 75
  • ore4.jpg
    ore4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 84

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice work, Kevin! :cool:

I like the curvature of the structure...did you build it that way to fit a certain space?

What scale is it?

N

nachoman

It is HO scale, and yes it is curved to fit a particular space. The tipple will be loaded by a 30" gauge line, and unload into my 3' railroad.

kevin

N

nachoman

progress...

here is the basic tipple in place on the layout to see how it fits...

Attachments

• ore5.jpg
    ore5.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 75
N

nachoman

the latest...

I've got some paint on it, and most of the main structure done. I've aded ore chutes and some bracing. I need to figure out how to make doors for the chutes, and the associated lifting mechanisms. And then comes the task of figuring out how the tipple will be loaded by a 30" gauge track...

kevin

Attachments

• oretipple.jpg
    oretipple.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 71

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very nicely done, Kevin! :cool:

nachoman said:
...And then comes the task of figuring out how the tipple will be loaded by a 30" gauge track...

kevin

How about side-dump cars on a line along side the top of the tipple?

N

nachoman

here is the latest...I'm not quite sure where to go from here. the ore chutes need some sort of "gate" and pulley system, and probably some kind of extension chute so that the ore can actually reach the cars. I am not sure exactly how these things were built. I could either do more research, or make something plausable that looks good. I've already experimented with a "steel" gate on the left chute, thinking that it would slide in some kind of runners, and would be raised by a pulley and chain. Anyone have any ideas?

kevin

ps- boy, the camera sure does pick out the dust on the layout!!

Attachments

• orebin.jpg
    orebin.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 68

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Looks great Kevin! :thumb:

Looks like you've alreasy got it set up for the sliding doors...I think a chain & pulley system would be a nice addition! :cool:

The paint/weathering look fantastic! :thumb:

I also like that boxcab double-header! :cool:

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
nachoman said:
ps- boy, the camera sure does pick out the dust on the layout!!

That's called natural weathering.:D

AS for your chutes you could probably copy a coaling tower's gates and chutes.

I have seen an interesting chute detail while exploring Victor CO a few years back. The chute was wood based, but lined with sheet metal. There was a bar that ran across the top of the chute, which had 6 or 8 short chains (3ft, maybe) attached to it. The free ends hung/layed in the chute. I assume they were used to control the flow of the ore as it rolled down the chute(s) and would be an interesting detail that I haven't seen on any models.

I don't remember what the gate looked like and I can kick myself for not taking a pic, sorry.