New (?) product for backdrops

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I was in Rona (home depot type store) yesterday buying some foamboard and I came across a very flexible 1/2" or 3/8" type of plywood. Comes in a 4x8 sheet, but it's only three plies. The two outer plies are thicker than the middle, and they are aligned in the same direction.

This ply flexes very well - better even than 1/8" masonite. I do not recall the price, but it looks like it could be useful in making curved corners in backdrops, as it would need very little support to maintain the curve.

I have not seen this before - anyone familiar with it?

Andrew

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
To me, it sounds like you're describing luaun - decades old and the surfacing for nearly every "slab" door in this country... But that's just what I get off your decription, entirely possible it's also some new "flexiply" sort of thing...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Home Depot carries luaun in 1/8" and 1/4", I've not seen it any thicker here, but it's possible they carry it elsewhere. I did use the 1/8" stuff for my backdrop and it worked great. It was not flexable enough to make the bend without cracking, so I soaked it with a hose on both sides for a minute or so before pushing it into the corner. I got a nice radius and it dried quickly and no cracks. I believe I paid about $12US for a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/8", about the same price as masonite. It obviously holds paint nicely as well.

It also makes great backing if you're making bookcases or cabinets.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
This was not luaun (doorskin). It was actually thicker, but because of the way the plies are laid, it is very flexible. Even though it was thicker than luaun (at least 2x as thick!) it practically rolled up as I lifted one end...!

Andrew

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
I used this material and you're right, it is not luan plywood. I used it in a tight radius application and it worked like a charm. Pricey if I remember correctly.

BTW --- Home Depot carries the product in Canada as well.