New Power for the Big Four

5450pete

Just got this one out of the paint shop. A new L2 4-8-2 for the Big Four in my basement. I have been working on-and-off for a year (!) but finally got it done. Take a Bachmann Heavy 4-8-2, add Rivarossi boiler, make new pilot and add some details. The tender is the original B-mann USRA long type, with PSC brass trucks.

I still need to finish the marker lamps and add a coal load to the tender.

There are some compromises but overall I think it turned out OK. Hopefully it runs as nice as it did before I took it all apart!

Attachments

• php2xArwvPM.jpg
    php2xArwvPM.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 12
  • phpo5fvjlPM.jpg
    phpo5fvjlPM.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 15

steamhead

Wow...That's some loco...!!! Great job...!!!

If it doesn't run as nicely as before....it'll make a great display piece...:mrgreen:

doctorwayne

Looks good, Pete. :thumb::thumb: Is that boiler from the J3 Hudson? I built a Mohawk for my own free-lanced road, using the Bachmann Light Mountain. I used a picture of a J3 to get the Worthington fwh piping right, and built-up the turret shrouding similar to that used on many NYC locos.

Wayne

5450pete

Thanks everyone for the nice words.

Doctorwayne,

I actually have to credit you with the inspiration to take on the project! I saw your light 4-8-2 and was impressed with the new look. I was going to modify the B-mann USRA heavy boiler until I had a Hudson and the 4-8-2 sitting side-by-side in the yard. A quick check of some photos and rough measurements and I decided that a J3 boiler from a Rivarossi Hudson would make it all come togheter.

I really like what you do to your motive power to make everyday models come alive.

Peter

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Gorgeous! Too bad steam power in the real world wasn't as "easy" as in the modeling world. These photos give me pause as I gradually reduce the number of steam locomotives vs. diesels on my roster ... although I'll probably never retire my Challengers!