New Poll - All paper or multi-media

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by ButchPrice, Jul 14, 2004.

1. I've been thinking about this for awhile. Some time back we had the dicussion about inkjet printing on styrene and laser printing on Mylar. If one is working strictly with flat sheets wouldn't that at least be in the same spirit as card modeling?
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good point. Might be what we've all been doing be called inkjet or laser jet print modeling? The real modeling is in the design and coloring if one remains the purist.

Best regards, Gil
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hey, the important bit is the modelling aspect of what we do. We are trying to re-create something using our brains, eyes and hands. I would say the important stuff to strive for is top quality craftsmanship, and a model that is convincing in the eye of the beholder. Any 'limitations, or 'exclusions', tend to hamper and restrict, rather than enable and expand. They are a hang-over from competition rulings, where I conceed, such limitations are a necessary evil.

But I hate having to work under the black cloud of 'Can't', or 'Must not', or 'Should not'. Always gets my back up, and I give the usual response of 'Why the hell should I not', and I have yet to have anything like a satisfactory answer. Purity? Oooo, smacks of Eugenics, that does.

Printability, digital production, cheapness, editability, all positive aspects of paper. Use it when appropriate. But it isn't particularly strong, it isn't mouldable, it isn't transparent, it isn't maleable. So why use it when it isn't appropriate. Especially when a vac-formed canopy, or a bent piece of wire, or a wooden dowel, might be exactly appropriate! What is the point?

Tim P ( on High Horse...)
  4. barry

barry Active Member

As long as I enjoy it and it looks right, even if it is not perfect I don't worry. I just don't feel like building paper railings. I would if I could etc

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Paper can be cast.

I was thinking about the usual printout and assemble routine that we associate with building card models. A word popular amongst plastic modelers is "kit bashing" wherein the kit is generally used as a basis for something different than usual. In our case it seems "kit bashing" means using multimedia. Multimedia has been an accepted form in Plastic modeling for some time and uses all kinds of interesting "stuff" to achieve scale. In a word what we are striving for is to "achieve scale" with whatever it takes to do a bang-up job. Achieving "scale" with strange totally unrelated stuff is the very esscence of the modeling and a good technique soon becomes the latest rage (i.e. dark washes, dry painting and pastel chalks). No need to mount a high horse for this cause..., hands not intent on building have time for such idle worship, oops just let the cat of the bag! Have to go now....,

Best regards, Gil, Protector and Defender of the Paper Grail
  6. barry

barry Active Member

As long as you have fun and it looks reasonable why worry

7. Now most paper is made from wood fibers. So if we go with the organic limitations that means strip wood, dowels and turnings are fair game. Now I have been doing some web research on Masonite (hardboard) and it turns out it is made just out of wood that has been reduced to fiber and reconstituted into a flat sheet product. Kind of like paper only tougher. Sounds like if one has the tools to work it, it just might be the ticket for making formers and bulkheads for larger models. Just a thought
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

Reminds me of years ago when I was building an airplane (1:1 scale). Wood, my material of choice, was derided by the fellows building the latest fibreglas ships.
    Once I redefined wood as "a linear monodirectional composite matieral consisting of cellulose fibres held in an amorphous lignin matrix and having a near infinite stress-cycle life" they were all much more impressed
  9. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Paper everything,even figured out how to make paper string.
  10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

ShaunGamer , Sticky Fingers. Both of you have actually said something that I have done.(though not with clear.)
    Your Clear foil is actually styrene or acetate plastic.
    I have made a few 1/32 scale Fire Truck models this way.
    2 of them al almost completely scratchbuilt with Very little kit parts to them.
    I drew out then cut the parts out from sheet plastic, and assembled them into their respective shapes. Much like card/paper modeling.
    In fact using your arguements, I did build card models from plastic.
    I just wish I had a digital camera so I could show you the models.
  11. Claudio

Claudio Member

I asked it to myself recently, when for the first time I used a transparency film to make a wall in my Dice Tower. The use of it was simple and elegant; I gained the goal and gave to the paper model more emphasis. It is only a particular of course; it mustn't be too much evident or dominant on the whole craft.

Anyway I was in doubt if add it or not; it was indeed a "purist" matter of fact.

I solved my dilemma arguing about the therm itself: what does it mean "purist"? As far as I am concerned "purist" means only paper; but really only paper! If, for example, I use a printer, covering the paper of ink (black or coloured one), I'm not a purist. And again, if I use glue (syntethic) to assemble the pieces, I'm not a purist. The real purist use a sheet of paper, cutting and folding it, and stop. Maybe the only purists are those people making Origami, or creating those Greeting Cards folded when closed and rising up when you open (but only not printed).

Said that, I think we are granted to use wood, plastic, metal, ink, glue, or whatever you need for you fun, even if the biggest part of the model should be made of paper.

This is only my opinion; every other is right as well.

Ciao, Claudio
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm in the anything goes catagory, but I'm a purist is a way. Good craftsmanship is using the best materials, tools, and techniques. Best means that it most effectively conveys the intent of the designer/builder/artist. If I limit myself to only paper then I may change my intent to fit the medium or force the paper to do something that it doesn't do well.
    I use paper because it's usually the best material for my purposes.

My current WIP (work in progress) uses mostly paper but some wire, transparency film, thread, and possibly a bit of jewelry chain for an anchor chain. I'm still try to decide if some parts are better out of paper or better out of metal. I do like wire as a medium.