New Poll - All paper or multi-media

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by ButchPrice, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

The new poll of the day,
    When building paper models,
    do you try to use exclusively paper,
    or do you include wood scewers, plastic
    canopy, non-paper wheels etc. :?:
  2. mark

mark Member

i use for modt in paper but ther is some time orr parts thet i use with wood to asembel them
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

I only use other materials when it's not possible to do it in card or paper.

PS:- Stand back for world warIII :lol:
  4. Hey, Its a hobby. This isn't restoring the Sistine Chapel. I'll usually try to do things in paper but if another material works better and makes the build process more enjoyable, that is what we are in this for. But one that forces us to do a lot of things in card I have yet to find a good source for all of the small bits on a ship model such as boats and deck equipment in 1/250th scale.

PS If this were meant to be a purist media, why do they sell photo etch dress up packages and wood or metal gun and masts sets from the card design houses?

PPS Just my $.02 so enjoy your selves
  5. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

I have only just started getting into the more detailed and complex models but it gives me a sense of satisfaction to be able to tell people it is only made of paper.

I build aircraft and sci-fi, which seem to be easier than ships and other small scale models when it comes to detail. I prefer to do as much as is physically possible in paper.

There are some things which can't be done in paper of course. Rigging and windscreens are the first items that come to mind. However a lot of other things like tubing and small parts can be strengthened by making them solid rather than hollow. Realistic wheels and canopies can also be created by user layers of card and clear foil (although some people say clear foil isn't paper really. I think it can be classed as such, because you're turning a 2 dimensional pattern into a 3 dimensional shape)

I admire anyone who can create a realistic model whether totally from paper or with added materials, but I really admire some one who can create one using only paper.
  6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, some things just can't be done justice with the paper... A P-51D canopy for instance. In that case, I say, ditch the paper for a better-looking model. Otherwise, I enjoy the challenge of making the paper look realistic.

7. cardfan

cardfan Member

Although I try to use paper as much as possable I will use other materials. Several of the kits I have call for the use of wire and wood for strength or trim parts such as antennas. And of course there is the matter of rigging for ships and WW1 planes. I have found that paper lollipop sticks make great axels and struts though. :D

I'm sure that I am like most of you, I want to make the best looking model I can.

8. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I always try to do my best to use only paper, but if need be I'll make an exception. I like knowing when I'm done that I made a great looking model and it's completely paper.

However, I'm starting to get to the point where I will throw in a little wire for support, and especially something for canopies. You either have to use something other than paper, or lose a lot of detail by adding an opaque blue one.
  9. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

I am just a purist , as long as nothing serious happens :D

greetings from austria
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I never finish anything, no matter what materials I use.

Sorry, a 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' moment just there!

I'll use whatever is best, to hand, affordable, strong enough, already on my work bench, swappable with model club collegues, left over from previous projects, intrigued me on one of the forum threads, a neat finish, just tried through my inkjet, etc., etc., etc. I'd far rather vac-form a canopy, or use plastic tubing, or paint, or tooth picks, if it was more appropriate than paper, but if the paper was more appropriate, use that.

I'm a complete modelmaking tramp...

And since I never finish anything anyway, I don't get too steamed up about it!

Tim P
  11. A cardmodel should be completed using paper exclusively, to a satisfactory result.
    While other materials may be used to detail and refine a model, they are not absolutely necessary for a minimum quality build, otherwise the kit is multimedia.
  12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Does the use of glue equal multimedia??? :twisted: :wink:

13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yeah, all right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us!?

Tim P

PS B*m, I'm a moderator, I am not supposed to rise to bait on things like this......
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

I vote for a pragmatic approach - use other materials when paper doesn't work - if I wanted to be fanatical about paper only I'll take up origami.

Check out Jim Nunn's Panther at for a really good example (imho) of the pragmatic use of other materials.

15. Peter H

Peter H Member

Hopefully I'm somewhere between purist and semi-purist. Paper, card and clear overhead film for canopies and propdisks on aircraft.

Do I think anyone else should be----nup.

Peetr H
  16. It's a "wood structure" through it's put together with nails.
    I would like to produce a kit that fits together with nothing but self-connecting joints. R&D work produced joints that "worked" but could not stand enough stress (AKA popped apart with a light squeeze), and/or required such intense and fine knifework as to be impractical.

Glue is the accepted route because effective dry-fit joints would easily double or trebble design time and are very difficult to create... and most builders would glue them anyway. Standards of practice.
  17. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Hey Masamune,

It's really ok. I was mostly joking. :lol:

Actually, I tend to shy awy from stuff that uses wire, plastic, etc... in practice just because it's "fussy," but I do like wood modeling as well.
    My main concession to multimedia is for canopies. Just can't see that Halinski P-51 being quite so pretty without it.

18. Didn't mean to seem high-strung. :oops:
    I did spend time mangling a lot of paper (during lunch, using company materials of a previous employer), and found it was possible to intricately slice face-to-face gluetabs so they can be woven, turned into a series of hidden-tongue-in-slot joints, interlocking-teeth, crimped together, folded and indented... but it came down to practicality.

In fairness and simplicity I would still call it "cardmodel" if it had a few non-paper pieces.
    Child-safety is another consideration, a friend threw a fit when she thought there might be tootpicks or wire in a model I gave her child. An all-paper model is less hazardous to kneebiters.
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

If it looks good enough that everyone wants to know how you did it, it does not matter what you made it out of, just that they can do it also....,

Best, Gil
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

if you are looking at a joint that requires such precision, and it might be for a commercially released product, maybe laser cutting might be the answer. I know getting the machine is probably out of the question, but here in the UK at least, there are several companies who do this sort of thing as a service. Sounds a great idea, I am imagining it a bit like a hidden zipper structure.

Tim P