New Paper Modeler

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by spmaj9, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spmaj9

spmaj9 New Member

Hello out there! I was brought to Zealot trying to solve a problem giving Ton Noteboom's Hubble model a realistic metallic finish.

I'm a veteran aerospace engineer who has worked on the Space Shuttle, several satellites and rockets and some atmospheric flight research projects including the Hyper-X scramjet. I love this stuff and feel privileged to live in a time when so much is being learned about our universe even as the realization of what we DON'T know grows more profound.

I hope to be a contributor to this forum but for now I'm low on the learning curve. Currently, I'm at a dead stop on my latest effort which is building Ton Noteboom's Hubble model. I've seen an example that has the morror like metallic finish of the real thing but haven't come up with a way to do it myself.

I can render the right portions of the .pdf graphics transparent for printing but haven't found a printer/paper combination that doesn't smear or puddle the ink when trying to print on the paper stock.

The best potential solution I can think of is to pring the graphics on transparency stock and then 'wrap' this around the metallic finished paper but I am concerned about how to get the transparency to adhere to the paper without using adhesives that would ruin a smooth appearance. I'm also not sure how to deal with the seams.

Also, a simple test run of this method dulls the metallic shine of the card stock -something I hope to avoid.

Well, I hope to find an answer soon since I won't start the model until I have a plan.

Anyway, Zealot looks to have great potential for finding answers to problems like this, so I'm happy to join in.

Good to be with you all and ready to learn.
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

We are fortunate to gain such a contributor to our space program as a member. You are most welcome here.
  3. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Welcome - might find an answer for the Hubble searching the threads. This one?

Any specific satellites of interest? Lots of models out on the net, and a few unique ones at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (, educational non-profit. I posted an LCROSS/Centaur with the ASU mission site to complement their LRO. Passed plans/patterns to the Solar Probe Plus and Mercury MESSENGER sites also, waiting to see if they can use them for their education/outreach programs.
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Did some digging around - metallic ink-jet paper from Red River, check their catalog for on-line ordering.

No personal experience with this kind of product however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.