New Orlik release

R

rickstef

Hi all,

during my day off today, due to an ice storm, i spent the afternoon surfing my favorite other language model sites, and I came across this little tidbit.

Orlik will be releasing a 1:33 scale Savoia Marchetti 79 Sparviero

66ccfe4e66bd7dfamed.jpg

8430d96e21390c5amed.jpg

4c983c37915ebcf6med.jpg

I am a big fan of this aircraft, and I will be getting this kit when it will be released.

I hope this is news to someone

Rick

Gil

A great big Bingo for Orlik on this one.

-Gil

P.S. All the hearings on global warming have been canceled due to the ice storm...,

David H

Oh, I need one.

Thinks... that the cover art is a torpedo bomber but the instruction page shows a full internal bomb load. Three motors or not that baby is never going to fly!

cmdrted

Looks to have both torpedos and bombs. also looks very detailed inside. Orlik does have some very cool offerings, hope the fit is good.

airbob

This one of my very favorite "wierd airframes"...glad to see Orlik going to put it out in paper...will have to get one...when I die I'll have enough paper models to assemble to last me thru eternity!!!:twisted: :razz: :p

T

Texman

Remembering that DeWayne carries 3 versions over on his site by Roman. Just in case you want to have one now.

Ray

airbob

I need to review DeWaynes' site...have not been there for awhile...It's always been fun!!! Bob out...:grin:

S

sdk2knbk

Fabrizio Prudenziati (Zio Prudenzio) has 9 "simple" examples as well; http://digilander.libero.it/zioprudenzio/page-air-sm79.html I don't know if DeWayne is offering any at the moment, though. I say "simple" because I'm assuming Roman's are more complex, internal formers, bulkheads, etc. Here's an old pic of one of Zio's I built several years ago.

Scott K.

Attachments

• ibrun2.jpg
    ibrun2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 653

rmks2000

I have the civilian version from Roman (still waiting to be built), so I don't know what is included (bombs or torpedoes) on the military versions. The civilian version contains 5 1/2 pages of parts and 1 1/2 pages of diagrams, and includes a cockpit. It is in 1:48 scale, but looks like it would scale to 1:33 without any problems.

cmdrted

Carl, you are so right, it seems in this day and age of CAD that the fits should almost be automatic but....I sometimes think of Orlik as a source of detail parts to kitbash with. I have 2 of Roman's version of this aircraft, the Itai 3 color camo and a Spanish cival war version. I'm looking at the other build threads on this to see if I'm just going to harvest it for details or try it as issued.

R

rickstef

pawell said:
Model is printed on 7.5 A3 sheets of carton, 3.5 sheets with fuselage frame parts and 5.5 sheets of building instructions, drawings and history of the plane. Model is designed by Tadeusz Grzelczak.

Just got some extra info on the kit

Maybe this helps the trepidations

Rick

GT5500

Golden Bear said:
Ted, I also have a couple versions of Roman's kit and I'm much more likely to try them ahead of an Orlik kit. The P47 was just awful and most indications are that the Mossie isn't any better. I appreciate what they are trying to do but they need to put more effort into closing the deal. - Carl
I truely think its disgusting that any model manufacturer be it plastic or paper can happily sell a model that does not fit together, sure we all know we buy kits because we enjoy building them but we should not have to make them fit. As a model builder my love is putting parts together that go together cleany and build into a complete model. As a builder I get more pleasure when the finished item looks good, I get really angry when the finished item looks bad due to a poor kit. I can't understand why these big manufacturers are not beta building their kits? some of the misfits I have seen on this forum are so obvious they can be seen before the parts are even cut out, and some of the colour mis-matches lead me to think they printing these models by silk screen, it amazes me that some of these companies still exist.

popala

Golden Bear said:
Ted, I also have a couple versions of Roman's kit and I'm much more likely to try them ahead of an Orlik kit. The P47 was just awful and most indications are that the Mossie isn't any better. I appreciate what they are trying to do but they need to put more effort into closing the deal. - Carl
Just as GPM or Fly Model (or most others) and unlike Halinski, Orlik uses many designers, so in this case the designer might be the better indicator for the quality of a model. A few of the Orlik's models turned out very well: TS-11 Iskra, Jelcz firetruck, P-40N, MS-406, D-520, Gloster G-40.

The designer of this one, Tadeusz Grzelczak, is also the designer of their P-40 (good one), Defiant (good one), XP-56, Hurricane (good one), Pe-2, XP-55, Kingfisher and I.A.R. 80. Judging by his record this might or might not be a well fitting model but I am going to buy it anyway, simply because this is a very, very attractive and unique topic in 1:33 scale, and from the looks of it, this model might be worth a few hair pulling episodes.

To stress my original point: another designer Orlik uses is Bartłomiej Kołek. Virtually all of his models are first class: Szcze-2, Zis-5, two Jelcz trucks, TS-11 Iskra are all excellent.

Darwin

Just a thought on the parts fit issue....in the digital world, one pixel is not always one pixel. Depending on how the kit gets processed, the hardware (or maybe even software that doesn't play well together)
could be introducing tolerance biases into the finished product. I encountered that problem early on when one of my redraws I'd sweated bullets over getting the dimension stackups right seemed to have been printed using a random-error-generator. Turns out my printer was slightly enlarging pixel width and slightly reducing pixel height, with final output more like that of a funhouse mirror than "as designed."

David H

Hey Guys it's only paper!

In terms of £ $ € a half good paper kit with typical detail is a good deal compared to plastic!

It may be my balsa hacking experience showing through but I like a challenge!

D

cmdrted

David, I agree with the huge disparity of paper vs plastic costs, however, 8 to 12 USD a kit is still a lot of monies to be shelling out if the kit is only half bad. In fact I gladly shell out the additional monies for Halinskis when they are released just for the comfort factor of a near perfect fit. I can stand to be bored with a no challenge no issues card kit.

David H

True £ $ € are an issue and publisher's need to improve if they want to keep their customers.

I think my point would be that there's only so much testing the guys at a small publisher can do. I also have the sneaking feeling that a fairly low % of purchased kits ever get cut... I would believe you and Carl and the others if you said X's kit is poor but might still have a go!

My very limited experience of building card kits is mixed. Some older 80s kits have great fit but poor (wrong) detail; 90s kit poor fit, moderate detail and 2006 kit loads of detail and so far tolerable fit.

Are the mistakes problems of a small organisations trying to do a top quality product engineering and quality control job with variable materials. Shh, big companies have issues with that!

I just want that SM79 to be as good as it could be...

D

cmdrted

David, we are both agreed on that, I'm rooting for a great kit. And you're also right about the bought vs built kit ratio. I started on Orliks afew years back when they had the F4U N in 1/50th scale and thought what a great company. This little beastie had engine, cockpit and other details that rivaled the bigger companies and larger scaled kits and at relative bargain prices, and it fit! When the IAR80 came out with separate control surfaces and other great details I was hooked. And I'm still hooked, I just became a little disillusioned with some of the misfit problems. I have every release from Orlik excepting the trucks, so I do still support them. Anyways, here's hopeing!