New (old) Mine entrance

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by N Gauger, May 3, 2002.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Here's a pic of a mine portal & Mine shack. I wanted it to look like it was made by hand around 1930 - 40.

I bought the mine entrance (Bachmann) and the 3 car expansion pack. I didn't think the plastic (steel) roof of the shack went well with the entrance I built, so I shingled it. :)

The Portal is about 18" Tall, and about 22 Wide. It was made with paint sticks cut into strips, simulating 1 X 12 X 8 and 1 X 12 X 10 lumber. The wood "stilts and frame" is made from square balsa wood stock. See Ya!!! -- Mikey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. N Gauger

Here is the way it looks along the mountain on the platform :) :)

[​IMG]
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

WOW! That shingled roof is really neat!:cool:
  4. N Gauger

Roof

Thanks!!! -- It's amazing what you can do in G Scale with 1:12 Doll House supplies. :) :)
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

That's looking awesome, N Gauger! (Or should I call you G Gauger? :))

In a perfect world we'd all have huge areas in which to build our favorite railroads in large scales. Well, that's my opinion, anyway!

Here's a dumb question: Is that brass track?
  6. N Gauger

Yeah, My life-long wish is to get out of this rowhome (18' wide X 32' Deep) and get a house with a fenced in, back yard. So I can build an outdoor layout. Right now, I only have an 12 X 9 area to build in. :(

The track is Aristo craft G Scale - Yes it's brass, It averages $3.50 per Ft.. :) Thanks!!! -- N Gauger ( or Mikey is fine too :D )
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hiya -- Mikey,
    Having some fun with structure bashing eh, love the roof. Track colour looks good.

[​IMG]
  8. N Gauger

Hey Shamus, I thought you would take notice! :) :) I keep sayin' you're a baaaaad influence on idle hands! :D

How does that saying go??: If you want anything done right - ya gotta do it yourself!!

I couldnt find a "Store Bought" wooden shack, nor a portal that was large enough, so I had to kitbash & Manufacture in House. :)

Another member of our club is a Munsters fan. he's building the Munsters house 1:12 th scale, (for 3 years now on & off) - He gave me the idea for the shingles and the foam board & wood for the portal... Thanks Again!!!!! -- Mikey
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

G scale hmmmm. Makes me think I should never have gone N scale. The structural effects are great with those shingles and mine entrances and all. Do you plan to ballast the track?
    I can see why you need more space.
  10. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

The wood makes all the difference Mikey and those cedarwood shingles will last forever even if you eventually get an outdoor pike.
    Normally I show my wife what gets posted in here, but this is one post she's not getting to see! She's a 1:12 scale doll house freak! She invents and builds her own structures so 1:14 would be no problem for her. (I never should have shown her that doll house kit in Denver! She's costing me a fortune with her newfound hobby! (sigh). Last October she took a daft turn in Caboose Hobbies and had me paying for the HLW doodlebug! for twice the price I could have had an HO brass Galloping Goose! (even bigger sigh) If she sees this she will have me putting up my G scale stuff in the garden so she can build structures for it :) . In our climate it would last less than a year what with cats etc prowling the area.

Your tunnel portal is first rate too, just like the real thing.

Errol
  11. N Gauger

Thanks Guys!! :)

Matthyro, I used to have a 9 X 10 "U" shaped N gauge layout (Hence the Handle) -- I find that not only does G stay on the track more, :) But it's easier to see as my eyes grow old :D

Unfortunatly, I have 2 cats that would LOVE to play with ballast, and since "Kitty Litter" makes Excellant G scale ballast, I think not ROFL..... But I am satisfied the way the track looks now, so it doesn't matter :)

Errol:, So, what is exactly wrong with you & your wife sharing in a hobby? :) My wife & kids have only a passing interest.... I think it would be neat if you built the pike, and she built the structures. Imagine the conversations you would have with your friends & family... A garden railway... Hmmmmmmm :) :D

I'm just starting something, 'cause I don't have one... LOL But my buddy says he May want to start a garden railway soon.. :)

--- N gauger