new modeller

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bazookie, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bazookie

bazookie Member

hey guys. just registered on this forum. im fairly new to paper modelling and my first model was the free piper cub from fiddlers green. it was horrible as i took a lot of shortcuts and it was very sloppy. then i tried to do a few from mamecraft but i always crush them in fustration before i finish it. can anybody recommend me a free model to start? i don't think i will be paying for a model made out of paper =]

also, how do you guys design these? from what i have read, you use a 3d program and unfold it using that peta-something (forgot the name) or similar program. i downloaded metasequoia and played with it for about a min. any good tutorials and stuff for that? i used to play around on wings 3d so i think i should pick it up pretty fast.

EDIT: my main interest is planes but i also like nice cars, tanks, gundams and other sci fi stuff
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Welcome To the forum. As for designing, sometimes we use pepakura and metasequioa or other 3d wares but most just go by eye.There are a lot of different design methods out there (check the designer's corner section in the forums.There is a free plane, tank, barn, and house at, and several from kancho's paper wings (wingsbg's site).
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

When asked about free and easy models, this site always springs to mind models.htm
    however there are no instructions, but refer to the pictures and you cant go wrong.
    Vehicle section is possibly the easiest, and it produced some startlingly clean and accurate models.

4. bazookie

bazookie Member

oh cool thanks man. i want the agitator but it's in production haha. hey i read another thread earlier today regarding wings 3d but i was browsing and didn't really pay attention. if i make a model in wings 3d, will i be able to use a program to unwrap it?
  5. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

WELCOME ABOARD! Don't give up if your 1st attempts are not want you think they should have been. Like anything else in life it takes time to learn to do paper card models correctly. That being said, it's a fun hobby and also any model you can think of can be found in a paper model. :)
  6. Claudio

Claudio Member

Welcome from me too!
    There are many softwares helping you to create a papermodel. The use of them depends on your attitude: from easy Excel or PowerPoint (commercial), Inkscape or OpenOfficeDraw (freeware), till more complex 3d modeler (commercial or freeware). But you can also use only paper and pencil directly!
    Sometime a mix of them is the best for a balance between tech and art.
    Find your way testing everything as much as you can.
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Welcome to the yard. You can get a lot of good advice on building aircraft models from the fine folks that hang around here. Have a good stay.:)
  8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Almost forgot, check the internet finds section in the forums.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Welcome to the forums! If you like sci-fi and real space, be sure to check out J. Leslie's site- it's one of the best out there:

and again, welcome!
  10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Welcome to the forum. You know, if you think your first attempts are lousy, take some pics of them. Then as time goes by, you'll be amazed at the levels you can achieve. Look at those pics again, and you will thank those lousy builts, as they are never too lousy (I hope you understand me here...).
    Keep it on!
  11. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Welcome aboard, Bazoo.

About a simple freebie to start on: The FG Cub is one of the best, but DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS! Take your time. If you screw up, print another sheet and try again. The FG models are good one for beginners. For the most part they are relatively easy, but don't rush and don't quit. Don't try another model until you finish the one you are working on and are satisfied with it.

Here are some other freebies from FG:

And if you go to "more info" about the Brewster F2-A Buffalo and dig down thru the Finland section, and you'll find a link to a free one. I haven't built it, but it looks easy.

Above all, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! And down worry about designing until you can build a paper aircraft model.

Hang in there:grin:

12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That link does not work - at least for me!
  13. bazookie

bazookie Member

OH NICE thanks for that leslie website. couple of things that im gonna have a go at in there....

anybody know if there are free x-fighters from star wars?
  14. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Freebies link

I just tried the link on my posting and it worked fine just now, but I have had problems with it before.

15. bazookie

bazookie Member

i have finally FULLY completed a paper model. it is the walker from the alternate realm website. i will post some pictures when my phone is charged. im going to get started on one of the sci fi jets on that leslie website :-D
  16. YGMeci0411

YGMeci0411 Titanart5852

Paper modelling

I have been involved with this hobby for a number of years...from as early as the 1970's, building airship models and the incredibly detailed Bird Mobiles from England! Over the years, I have branched out to planes (love the 'Spirit of St. Louis'), buildings, cars, trains and my favorites...Star Trek ( anything with the US.S. Enterprise and other starships) and the Titanic! I'd love to build a paper model of the famous liner in about 1/100th scale ( I'd would need really sturdy stock for this project)!

Anyone new to paper modelling should not get too discouraged... we have all made mistakes from one time or another. With the vast assortment of free models here,on the Internet, it is advisable to keep the downloaded model files (pdf, jpg, bitmap, etc.) stored on a removable media such as CD or Flash (jump) can always print the model out and begin again when the frustration ebbs away!
    With anything, patience is best rewarded..and you will dicover the same facination the rest of us have in this incredible hobby!
  17. nikole.957

nikole.957 New Member

i have finally FULLY completed a paper model. it is the walker from the alternate realm website. i will post some pictures when my phone is charged. im going to get started on one of the sci fi jets on that leslie website
  18. deftspyder

deftspyder New Member

welcome to the site! I am new here as well!

once im done with some armor, aircraft sounds just splendid, considering i will crash tt into my head, and need protection.