new model from Currell Graphics

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by n810, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Spinning Airship Props

Art Decko,

That is an excellent idea! I´ve got to try that - perhaps I could just use the prop parts that are in Ralph´s sheet and then 'twirl' them a bit. One set of four for the four-blade props and one for the aft two-blade one.

Thanks, mate!
    Bengt :thumb:
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

You're very welcome! Hope to see a photo of the results some day! :)
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Prop Twirl

Hi Art Decko,

I just had to try it out - here´s the result. I did a max twirl on each prop and the decreased the contrast and brightened them up a bit.

I will try printing them out on a transparent sheet and cut them to round circles. That ought to do the job!

Thanks again for the tip,
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Prop Twirl Plus Effect Filters

Art decko,

I went one step further;
    I thought they looked a bit too sharp, so I added quite a bit of Gaussian blur (for un-sharpness), then decreased the contrast further (to make them a bit brighter and softer) and then added a tiny bit of background noise (graininess).
    I think they are ready for a transparent print test now. I´ll be back later.

5. I am a bit confused regarding the spinning props. Yours appear like a spiral when in reality spinning props appear have the same number of blades only blurred and about 3 times wider. Not a spiral.
  6. I snagged the above picture from another thread

MH-53 ABC magazine
  7. n810

n810 Guest

I find that to get a good spinning prop effect in photoshop I create multiple layers of the prop and rotate each one about 20 degees. then I fade each of the additional layers to something like 20% it gives more of an effect like in the photo that Tim posted.
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I'm so sorry, I steered you wrong. It's not the Twirl filter, it's the Radial Blur filter (Filter > Blur > Radial Blur). I'm afraid I wrote that earlier post from memory, without double-checking. Photoshop has so many filters!

Below are some results I got earlier messing around with this filter (Tim Hinds might recognize them - Tim I owe you an email!).

For best results, select the area using the Elliptical Marquee Tool (the round version of the common "box selecting tool"), with the area centered on the center of the prop. The easy way to do this: while using the Elliptical Marquee Tool, hold down <shift> <alt> , click on the center of the prop, then drag outward. Keys might be different for a Mac.

Good luck! :)
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Twirl and Radial Blur

Thanks for the pointers, Tim and Art Decko,

Don´t be sorry, Art Decko - I see this as a great opportunity to learn and try something new. I will definitely try out this Radial Blur filter, too.
    In the meantime, I have realized that the effect has to be very blurred and transparent. The image which our eyes see is just a spinning blur (if we do not 'blink' intermittently and very fast!). However, we have gotten used to seeing spinning props the way movie and still cameras with very fast sector, lens or curtain shutters see them.

Here´s another great picture that I found somewhere on the web (I don´t know who the originator is - sorry):

In the small scale of the props for the Graf Zeppelin model, I´d say just the plastic foil discs add a bit of 'spin', so the prop pattern has to be very subtle both in color and texture.

It´s worth another go - thanks, fellas,
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

By George, I think I Got It!

Art Decko,

Thanks again for that nudge in the right direction - something like this is what I am after - very soft, light and blurred. A sort of mixture of what the eye and the camera sees:

PS. Perhaps I should explain how I obtained these prop images: 1. Circular marquee - Radial Blur at 50 - twice. 2. Gaussian Blur (to get rid of the grain or noise) at 1,5 - twice! 3. Made it lighter, less saturated, less red, less contrasty. Then darker again, to get a bit of grey shade. 4. Then, as a finishing touch, cloned the prop center from the original prop image - done!
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Nicely done, Bengt. It should look perfectly at home on the completed model. These would also look fitting on aircraft models as well. The pursuit of genuinely perfectly perfect realistic realism continues! :mrgreen:
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The Quest for Perfection

Thanks, Elliot,

for the kind words. Yes, that is indeed a never-ending quest.

Bengt :mrgreen:
  13. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I agree! When I was first messing with the radial blur filter, it occurred to me that the results would have to be printed on transparent disks to achieve the desired look. If printed on white paper, I bet they would look quite odd.

That raises a very interesting point for scale modelers. What is "reality", and how far should we go to reproduce it?

As you point out, the way most of us think of spinning props is actually an artifact of photography, not what they look like when viewed with our own eyes.

I read a post the other day, I wish I could quote it, but I forgot where I encountered it. The commenter said something like "After all, we are trying to create a visual impression. In real life, panel lines and rivets are not very visible unless you are quite close to a plane. Yet, if a modeler doesn't include them, the results will look boring."

I recall another commenter once pointing out that the planking patterns on model warship decks are often way out of scale - if accurate, the seams in the planking would be invisible at the scale modeled. Yet it appears that modelers who otherwise go to great lengths to achieve scale accuracy prefer the oversized planking.

I think that term "visual impression" captures the goal perfectly. Scale modeling is a craft, so I think we shouldn't be shy about using subjective, artistic techniques to render pleasing impressions, rather than myopically sacrificing all in the name of technically "realistic" or "accurate" - but possibly less interesting - results.

Bengt, I see your spinning prop results in a following post, those look great! :thumb: I hope you can photograph them printed on transparent disks, I bet they will look very convincing!
  14. Harry Stroble

Harry Stroble New Member

All of Currell's stuff is great. You nut-cakes should try it. and it's all free.