new model from Currell Graphics

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by n810, Feb 16, 2009.

1. n810

n810 Guest

2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

What and ...... WHAT? A new model from Currell?! Have to get this one!!! Thanks for the heads up!
  3. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo! at last I've been hoping for this very model. Thank you for pointing it out and of course thank you to Ralph Currell for making it available.
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Always a day to celebrate when Mr. Currell releases a new model! Thanks for spotting this one and a great big thank you to Mr. Currell.
  5. n810

n810 Guest

Yeah I was going over some bookmarks and clicked on his by mistake. Lucky me! Guess I should have bought a lottery ticket too
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

A great model as always. Thanks for your generosity Ralph!
  7. Major Walter Schmidt

Major Walter Schmidt Newbie Designer

There is one inaccuracy: The swastikas are taken off.
    Still, who needs 'em except for rivet counters sign1sign1
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

The Graf Zeppelin was launched five years before the Nazis came to power. :)
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The First True Card Model Replica of The Graf Zeppelin

THANK YOU, Ralph,

for this wonderful model! You have done it again.
    This fine model is a MAJOR improvement on the Schreiber-Bogen 1:200 scale model, which I have and am currently building. It seems to me that you have made a very thorough research into the typical details of this famous airship - for example, the characteristic bottom fin is very accurately reproduced and so is the text "GRAF ZEPPELIN" on the sides of the hull. You have made the letters rectangular in shape whereas on the Schreiber-Bogen model they have missed this completely and made the letters round (and black).
    The engine gondolas are also beautifully reproduced in this small scale, with hatches and openings. And, the aft engine gondola has the correct 2-blade propeller.

This is a fantastic model. I have enlarged the sheets to A3 size (as usual) and I have tried to adjust the colors of my printer to a neutral, very slightly red, grey nuance. Neutral grey is the most difficult color to print and it varies depending on the light. The sheets I printed yesterday evening turned out much too cyan in the daylight of this morning, so I made a new batch where I decreased the saturation and brightness and added just a little of red. They look wonderful now. Time to start the cutting . . .

Thanks again, Ralph, for sharing this amazing model.

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Always enjoy your posts, Bengt. Timely and chock full of information as usual.:yep:
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Bengt, I hope you're not contemplating building the new Graf Zeppelin model before you finish that Gotha G.38 ... ;)
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

So many models to build . . .

Thanks for the kind words - I have a special place in my heart for the big German, British and American rigid airships of the late 20s and 30s.
    Ralph Currell has shared so many of his extraordinary airship models over the years - this latest addition is a real treat.

Art Decko,

You hadn´t forgot about that one? I am glad to hear it. This very detailed project (and the superb Ursinus-Gotha G.I by Kampfflieger, or the Saturn V-Apollo 11 LUT by Mike and George) has come to a temporary stand-still, because I have so many other things going at the moment - for example, I am taking advanced classes on the Scottish bagpipe and experimenting in photography. Furthermore, I am doing a Photoshop re-color of the windows and décor pattern of the fuselage on the Junkers G.38ce - I am half-way through it by now.

It´s always incredibly tempting to try out new models. And, the older, 'ongoing' projects sometimes need to 'mature', I think - I need some time for new ideas to develop on materials and solutions of details, interiors, etc. Now and then I stumble on a new color, surface, thickness or texture which is exactly right for one of the projects. Embossing is a new thing that I am interested in, for example, which adds a new dimension to card models.

I promise to post some photos when there is some real development.

Bengt :thumb:
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Apologies for the continuing hijack, but ...... Is the Junkers G.38 still on your list Bengt? :mrgreen:
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Junkers G.38ce

It is a project which is still under way:

15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Junkers G.38a RC Electric Flying Model

You gotta see this!

(I know this isn´t the right thread)
    Talking about Junkers G.38´s - check out this new flying model - 2 meters wing span, with four LiPo-driven electric motors, weight only 2 kilos. Very true to the second G.38ce version, with two passenger floors:

PS. Makes me wanna build a big one, too . . .
  16. The German Government banned the use of the Swastika on anything that is not hisoric. It cannot be displayed. I have heard they actually tour the model conventions to confiscate any models violating this ban. So I am sure Ralph did so to repect our German brothers so they too can benefit from his designs.
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swastikas on The Graf Zeppelin

If you do a bit of research into books and on the web (Google pictures), you will find that there are actually many more photos of Graf Zeppelin without the Nazi swastikas, so this is the true image of this airship. For example, the tour round the World in 1929, where many people worldwide had a chance to see it. From 1933, when Adolf Hitler became the German Reich´s Chancellor, to 1937, when the 'Hindenburg' disaster struck upon landing at Lakehurst, N.J, it was painted with the swastikas, to captain Hugo Eckener´s great disgust.
    It was an entirely different thing with the Hindenburg, who carried the German nationalist symbols (and the olympic rings in 1936 for the Berlin Olympics) almost from the beginning.
    Graf Zeppelin, on the other hand, is generally known, recognized and remebered WITHOUT the Nazi swastikas.

The 'Graf Zeppelin II', however, which was the new, updated sister ship of the Hindenburg, was like the Hindenburg equipped with swastikas. But it wasn´t used much and never for transatlantic voyages because the Germans couldn´t get their hands on the safer helium gas.

Both the Graf Zeppelin and the Graf Zeppelin II were unfortunately scrapped for their precious aluminium constructions (by Goering) in 1940 - only an engine car, some propellers and some fabric remain of these wonderful giants.

18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Parts Pre-cut and Organized

Hi all,

Yesterday evening, after examining the new batch of prints from Ralph Currell´s sheets, I went one step further. This is what the upscaled parts (to European A3 size) of the new Graf Zeppelin model looks like, spread out on the work bench. As you can see, I always leave a bit of extra white space around the parts in the first cutting - you never know when you might need some extra tabs and it also protects the edges of the parts when you are rolling and shaping them. It´s also nice to have something to hold on to.
    I had the sheets printed on a rather thin, matte 165 g/m2 photo paper, which means I have to mount the internal formers to an extra layer of thin card.
    You will also notice that I have re-colored the props from black to mahogany-brown and I have cloned some spare parts (engine cars, struts, props, etc), to be on the safe side when cutting with the thin scalpel.

We´ll see when time allows for a continuation of this build. That´s all for now.
    All the best from Stockholm,

PS. Disclaimer: This is not a start of a continuing thread - at the moment, my time does not allow for this. Instead, let yourself be surprised if another picture turns up!
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Length of Upscaled Graf Zeppelin Model from Ralph Currell

Just a quick note to the photo above:

I have estimated that at this scale (prints at 155% on A3 borderless size), the Graf Zeppelin model, once completed (whenever that will be), will measure 21" or 53,5 cm from nose to tail.

I have thought about suspending it from the ceiling in very thin fishing lines or similar silver or grey filament thread.
    The props could the be exchanged for five very small and thin clear plastic discs, for a 'flying' display. Prop disc patterns are available for free from for example Fiddlersgreen - I would then have to re-color them slightly dark brown for a wooden look.

20. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Bengt, I don't know if this will be helpful for such tiny props, but here's an idea ... since you are Photoshopper, you might try making spinning props by using Photoshop's "Twirl" filter (Filter > Distort > Twirl) using the appropriate propeller graphic. You can play with the Twirl settings to get different amounts of rotational motion blur.

You could print the results on transparency, with a circular outline for cutting.