New Memeber

Interail

Sep 17, 2005
Just wanted to say hello. My name is Jorge. I'm 25, from New York City and I work for the NYS&W in New Jersey and model in HO scale. Please feel free to contact me anytime.:wave: I do have one question. How many feet is an HO scale mile and how is the conversion done?:confused:

Have fun,
Jorge

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Hey Jorge hows it goin? Welcome to The Gauge. This place is great. Lots of gurus here that can tell you just about anything you want to know. It takes a while sometimes but the pros will chime in. I'll be watching this thread myself as I am curious how some of the conversions are done as well. Might want to check around the NMRA website. Lots of good tech info over there. Thats where I'm heading right now to see if I can locate some info on this topic. Let you know if I find anything. :thumb:

N

nachoman

1 real foot = 87 ho scale feet. If you want to know how fa something is in HO scale, measure it in feet and multiply by 87. For an HO scale mile, it is 5280 ft/mi / 87HO scale feet/1ft. = 60.7 real ft. I hope I calculated correctly, I'm tired!

kevin

Joseph Hall

Sep 20, 2005
Ft Lewis Washington
Your math looks good.

Same formula I used when I realized that I'd have to use my back yard to accurately model The Horseshoe Curve.
I'm new, too, actually returning to the hobby after a 28 year hiatus-a military career-and I'll tell you, I feel like Rip van Winkle.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
nachoman said:
1 real foot = 87 ho scale feet. If you want to know how fa something is in HO scale, measure it in feet and multiply by 87. For an HO scale mile, it is 5280 ft/mi / 87HO scale feet/1ft. = 60.7 real ft. I hope I calculated correctly, I'm tired!

kevin

Uhhhh, Kevin....TRUE HO scale is 1:87.1 :rolleyes: :p :D :D :D As I snobbishly peer over the rims of my turtoise shell glasses with a steel cutting holier then thou gaze. :thumb:

Welcome to The Gauge, Jorge :wave:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Hi Jorge,
Welcome to the guage!
I suppose, being that you are an employee of the NYS&W, that it's the road you're modeling...........or maybe, the NY&A ? I remember steam on the Long Island RR, 50's and early 60's commuter runs from Babylon, into the city and back, on the third rail electrics.
You should be able to find lots of answers here.
Pete

jaijef

Sep 23, 2005
Tennessee
new guy also

Hello all,
My name is Jai and I am a new member also.
I model the SSW/Cotton Belt w/a time period from the 1950s-present.
I am a freelance modeler I guess--I have a Big Boy and an SD90MAC.
My layout is based on the Great Eastern Trunk design by atlas w/a few modifications.
And some of the model railroaders I know I have too much rolling stock and too many locos, but variety is good.
:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
jaijef said:
I am a freelance modeler I guess--I have a Big Boy and an SD90MAC.

Welcome to The Gauge. :wave:

Run the SD90MAC as a "Future World" display in the stean era or run the Big Boy as a restored excursion train now ;) :thumb: