New Member says Hi.

japrail

Jan 14, 2007
Brisbane Australia
Hi there my name is David, 63 yrs old, Married, Aussie and model railway Crazy.

I am in the early stages of building an N Gauge model railway layout, my fifth layout, previous outfits were Aussie HO, British OO, American N x 2 and now my Freelance layout, all rolling stock is Japanese proptotype, a mixture of Steam, Diesel and Tramcars, scenery will be Aussie style but not strictly, I will build whatever I think fits in and takes my fancy.

I chose Japanese locos for my layout because of the superb running quality, brands include Kato, MicroAce, Tomix and Modemo, I guess another thing that appealed to me was the fact that the Japanese Railways ran steam right up to the mid 70s, not that important on a freelance outfit but something to talk about.

I am not an expert model builder but love trains, my second hobby is photographing railways, havent done much of late but going on a five week Train Photo Expedition next month, try and build my stock library up.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Hi David and welcome to the forum!
And welcome back to the fabulous world of model railroads :)
Sounds like you have a lot of experience and I´m really looking forward to see photos from your progress :)

japrail

Jan 14, 2007
Brisbane Australia
Triplex said:
How long did Australian railways use steam? I thought it lasted into the 70s.

Aussie railways had very little running in the way of steam after the mid 1960s, most early diesel locos were English Electric or manufactured by Clyde Industries under licence

DavidB-AU

Feb 26, 2006
Triplex said:
How long did Australian railways use steam? I thought it lasted into the 70s.
Main line steam disappeared in the 1960s. A few pockets of steam survived on freight a bit longer, notably around Broadmeadow in NSW which had the giant AD60 garratts in service until 1973. In Victoria a few survived as workshops pilots until 1979. The last bastion was the South Maitland Railway which was exclusively steam operated until the coal mines it served it closed in 1987.

There was a small scale revival in the 1990s when preserved steam was used on regular freight and passenger trains in Victoria (and some freight in Western Australia) for crew training. V/Line in Victoria found they were making money out of it and continued putting steam on some regular passenger trains during school holidays for nearly a decade until V/Line was privatised.

Cheers
David