New member looking for advice

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by phinfan, Oct 18, 2007.

1. phinfan

phinfan New Member

Hi everyone, I have been trying to figure out what O scale set to get for a while now. It will primarily be for around the tree, but maybe more at a later time. I was pretty well sold on The Polar Express, but my hobby shop has a Union Pacific Fast Freight for 40.00 more, and I was wondering if the upgraded Berkshire (with momentum flywheel, and I believe more sounds?) was worth the extra money? Are these features that big of a deal? Any others that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I can't help you with making a choice but welcome to The Gauge. There must be some knowledgable individuals of the Lionel persuasion who can help.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I love the Polar Express and I think it makes a great Christmas train. It does have some shortfalls. The first is that I like a engine with the flywheel because it just starts and stops better. Second I am not a big fan of the rail sounds tender but they now how one out for the Polar Express.

There is nothing wrong with the UP either and in fact there is nothing wrong with any of the MTH sets.

What ever you choose you will be happy with it. Later if you progress in the hobby you like may take you to different approach and not even consider sets. Then you will have so many options you will not know where to start.

I have the PE set and it is my first choice for a Christmas train with kids but might be replaced by the new HE set.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I've now ruminated on this overnight and I'll say this:
    The Polar Express is a suitable train for running under the tree. In fact, it's what we use.
    The freight train is just as good. In fact, if you add a few switches and uncoupling tracks you have the beginnings of a permanent layout where you can uncouple and shunt cars. This is more "play value" for your money.
    I don't see the flywheel as a significant plus or minus on a Christmas layout; sounds are nice until they become irritating (I've never had any beyond a whistle).
  5. tcripe

tcripe New Member

I have the PE; I would recommend the Union Pacific simply because that extra $40 is going to get you a lot of play value - the Fastrack uncoupler is $37 alone extra, plus you get an operating car and trainsounds to boot. You can always go to EBAY and buy the PE cars, figures, etc. later.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

my PE engine did not last long, but i know lots that have the set and they all run fine.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Wow I have never heard of the Berk having problems.
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i think i got the one dud in the
  9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm sorry to hear that I thought I was the one that got all the bad things.
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im not giving up on it, but its going to take a trip to a service station i think.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

The baby Berk that came in my nieces' PE set only need some lubing to get it running smooth again- I suspect there are plenty of them out there that just need the same minor maintenance.

12. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

I guess it come down to what you like. The PE express is a nice set, but there are a lot of options out there. Hopefully, this will lead to other sets, accessories, track, etc. for years of enjoyment!

Have fun!
  13. Frank53

Frank53 Member

I bought a Polar Express set on a whim a couple of years ago and it has done "Tree" duty only. Runs nice, no problems.