New Member Intro

funwithtrains

Hello,

My name is Rob and I live in Pennsylvania. While I have enjoyed trains since I was a kid, I really got started into model trains when a good friend of mine gave me a Marklin HO (3-rail AC) starter set about 4 years ago.

Since that time I have caught the bug and have added more 3-rail HO, G gauge, O gauge, Z scale -- and most recently, I'm just getting into 2-rail HO.

I have thoughts of layouts for at least 3 different scales, but have not yet started on those. I look forward to learning from other folks here in the forum.

Rob

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Welcome Aboard, Rob!! :D

I model in G too (actually "F" 1:20.3) but it's still "BIG" :eek:

You're closer to one of us, either "Chessie6459" or me!!! sign1sign1

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi Rob! You certainly have some diverse experience with the hobby! Glad you could join us! What are you planning with the HO?
Ralph

nkp174

Welcome!

Check out Ulf's work...I think its in the modular layout forum. He illustrated how to configure 3-rail HO track to be compatible with both 2 and 3 rail HO locomotives.

There's someone else here who swears by Marklin stuff...our resident WP fan? Too rich for my blood, but nice stuff!

CSXect

Welcome, I am somewhat new to this forum to.:wave:

I am a diehard S gauger with a serious O gauge habit:yep:

I have trains in G,O,On30,S,HO and N may get a Z set one of these days:mrgreen:

Currently working on bench work that will have enough room for all my trains to run on:eek:

funwithtrains

Thanks for all of the welcomes!

As for HO plans, right now I'm thinking of a something like a dining room table-top layout, for space reasons. Was thinking I had to decide between 3 rail and 2 rail, but I'm interested in learning about using 3 rail with AC and DC locos as mentioned in the post above -- that could work well for me if I kept the layout somewhat generic.

Eventually, I'd like to set up a German layout for Era III, perhaps a US 3-rail layout for my Marklin NYC locos (PA-1 and Mikado) and a modern Southwest U.S. layout for my growing BNSF interests.

Not to mention a garden railroad and perhaps a little Z layout . . .

Too many interests, too little time!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
As for HO plans, right now I'm thinking of a something like a dining room table-top layout, for space reasons.
Take a jig saw and router and cut out the top part of your dining room table, build a box underneath for support and containment, have a piece of glass cut to fit and now you have a layout inside your dining room table. I know, easier said than done. I've done several living room tables but never the dining room table. Proceed only if you have the consent of your other half:mrgreen:!

funwithtrains

That's a big negative! :) Yes, I might get away with a coffee table layout for Z, but I think I'd be in the doghouse if I touched the dining room table.